FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Ki Pro Hard Drive Replacement

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Kobayakawa
AJA Ki Pro Hard Drive Replacement
on Mar 19, 2011 at 2:54:18 am

I have a 250G module. Tried to replace the Hitachi 250G unit with a Seagate 500G/7200 rpm unit. Ki Pro does not recognize the drive (No Slot). Drive is spinning. Does AJA use a proprietary formatting process before shipping the drive?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA Ki Pro Hard Drive Replacement
on Mar 19, 2011 at 2:56:56 am

You should format any drives with the KiPro. This is an AJA drive, correct, not a do-it-yourself?

Return to posts index

Rodney Kobayakawa
on Mar 19, 2011 at 4:52:39 am

Its a do-it-yourself drive. I cracked the case and replaced the 250 stock drive with a Seagate 500G/7200 rpm drive.The Ki Pro does not see the drive. I put back the 250G drive and all is well.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Mar 20, 2011 at 2:48:00 am

Rodney,
The use of unauthorized drives inside of the Ki Pro Storage Module is not recommended or warrantied. We would strongly discourage such activity. The drives contained inside of the Ki Pro Storage Modules have been selected for their specific attributes and thoroughly tested for use with the device. If you wish to obtain a 500GB Storage Module, AJA does offer that capacity and such a Storage Module can be obtained from an authorized AJA reseller.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2011 at 3:27:03 pm

[Rodney Kobayakawa] "Its a do-it-yourself drive. I cracked the case and replaced the 250 stock drive with a Seagate 500G/7200 rpm drive.The Ki Pro does not see the drive. I put back the 250G drive and all is well.
"

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way as the drives are not user replaceable. Time to go out and buy the AJA 500 GB storage module, it does exist.

Return to posts index

Sylvain Sailler
on Jan 23, 2012 at 4:49:09 pm

It's possible to replace the internal hard drive. I've made it without any recording or reading issue. I used a fast 7200 rpm drive. You have to format it in Mac OS extended WITHOUT journaled option, in GUID Partition Table (use Mac Os 10.5 or 10.6 Disc Utility as 10.7 doesn't allow to format in Mac OS extended NON journaled).

http://www.atreid.com/index.html?menu=1223&id=4453&forum=5&sujet=50896&acti...

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:35:40 pm

[Sylvain Sailler] "It's possible to replace the internal hard drive."

There are No internal Drives in the KiPro.

There is also no user certified method for swapping HD's in the drive cases- doing this will VOID all warranties on the unit.

gary

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Sylvain Sailler
on Jan 23, 2012 at 7:55:57 pm

Sorry, by internal I meant inside the storage module.
I know Aja doesn't certify any method for this but it's absolutely safe and easy to open the module and change the drive. Easy way to save at least 300 $ / 500 GB.

Return to posts index

Tim Halle
on Apr 9, 2014 at 3:28:26 pm

Confirmed this works April 9 2014.
Does anyone know the KiPro to eSATA hack ?

Return to posts index

Joris Robijn
on Feb 2, 2015 at 10:14:19 am

Well, the connector on the AJA Ki Pro storage module is just a slimline SATA connector, just like on half-height DVD drives. I guess with a slimline SATA to eSATA converter you can connect it to Mac or PC. I connect via USB3, with a slimline SATA to USB3 converter. On the PC you will need software to use this NFS+ filesystem which is not normally supported by Windows. I use Paragon HFS+ for Windows for that. Works well.

Joris

Return to posts index

Irfan Ali
on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:17:14 pm

Hey plzzz can u explain this in detail

Return to posts index

Chris Mueller
on Feb 25, 2015 at 8:39:25 pm

Accessing the storage module to offload data can be accomplished using the 12V power supply and accessing the 7-pin data side on the slimline SATA connector.

Recording from the KiPro directly to a SATA disk requires an active circuit. So there are no "over-the-counter" cable hacks, but there is an adapter available at http://didacco.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]