FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro timecode issue on playback

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Rule
Ki Pro timecode issue on playback
on Mar 11, 2011 at 7:10:25 am

We have come across an issue with timecode when playing back files on a KiPro.

We're working in PAL 625i 25 (41.1). KiPro firmware 2.0.0.125

When playing back files exported from a FCP timeline and transferred to the drive, the timecode seems to be being displayed and counted in NTSC - ie frames 00-29 instead of 00-24.

This results in a shorter timecode duration displayed - yet the files play normally (to the correct duration and speed) - the frames display clearly runs through 00-29 frames though - so the timecode displayed doesn't match the actual duration of the clip.

This caught us out a couple of times on a recent job where the KiPro was being used as a playback machine - the clips ended before the expected timecode was reached.

As far as we can see, the export settings in FCP are correct. Everything is in the PAL world - we have no reason to have anything in NTSC.

When a (PAL) signal is recorded into the KiPro it records and plays correctly - ie 25fps and the timecode display is correct.

It seems to be the files that are exported to the drive that the timecode is incorrect.

Hoping it is something simple that we have overlooked. Have been through the settings on the KiPro, but haven't found anything that has made a difference so far. Going back to the previous version of the firmware made no difference.

Any suggestions, solutions etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: Ki Pro timecode issue on playback
on Mar 11, 2011 at 5:05:56 pm

Mark,
This may simply be an issue with a setting used for your QuickTime export. In the product marketing area at AJA, a Ki Pro was tested with an Apple ProRes 422 PAL file exported from Final Cut Pro. The timecode value on the Ki Pro counted from 00 to 24 on the frame counter as expected with this file.

I would recommend contacting AJA Technical Support for assistance if you are not able to sort the matter out yourself.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Mark Rule
on Mar 12, 2011 at 9:48:03 am

Thanks - we'll keep looking and experimenting. As far as we can tell though all the timeline & export settings are correct - but there must be something, somewhere thats causing this.

Mark

Return to posts index

Brendan Quaife
on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:09:32 pm

Hi there

I've been working with Mark on trying to identify where this issue is happening.

We have 2 ki-pro's in front of us.

I can confirm that the output settings from FCP are correct, with us even forcing the time code to 25FPS (even tho the source material is still PAL 25FPS). I've embedded an image below of the export settings just to show what the output settings are.

After the export process - the clip plays fine on both machines. Video and Audio looks good.

However BOTH machines count the time code from 00 to 29 frames in each second.

When this exported clip is a) bought back in to FCP or b) loaded in Quicktime pro and the "Movie Inspector" window is bought up - they both clearly show that the clip is 25 FPS.

Also when the clip is dubbed to the other Ki-Pro ... it's seeing it as PAL, and the recorder unit is adhering to PAL 25FPS.

We haven't tried exporting for HD as yet. Will give that a go and see if anything similar crops up with something like 1080i50.

Hoping to shed some light on this - and just maybe we have found a small wee glitch.

Regards

Brendan

Return to posts index

Brendan Quaife
on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:35:32 pm

..and in further

Just had the same results on a 1080i50 clip - the Ki Pros are counting these frames from 00 to 29 as well.

Starting to feel to me that perhaps the pal/50i world has a few issues when using exported clips.

Return to posts index

Brendan Quaife
on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:38:18 pm

..and even further...

When accessing the Ki-Pro's on the web interface "Clips Page", they are showing as 25fps.

Yet the counter still counts from 00-29.

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Mar 26, 2011 at 9:15:45 am

I also reported it to support a few months ago with 720p50.
Recording is fine, dubbing that recording to another KiPro with LTC connected, does not work, as the second KiPro doesn't recognize the time-code.
I had to record the time-code on one audio track (connected to the second KiPro LTC input) to get it to work.
My setup was that I used one Ki Pro to play the soundtrack with big Time-code window in the video, to have other AJA KiPro's ISO record the camera's for the videoclip shoot.
I tested the same setup in NTSC land and 60P/I, it all worked. So I'm pretty sure it's a glitch in the firmware for PAL and 50P/I formats. As it did work in the previous firmware
If you need help in beta testing AJA, I'm sure me and others would like to help to solve this issue.

Return to posts index

Mark Rule
on Mar 26, 2011 at 9:44:26 am

We would certainly like to solve it as soon as possible.

I have emailed AJA support a few days ago - but not received a reply so far.

I am hoping they are well aware of the problem and working on a firmware fix for it!

Mark

Return to posts index

André Caldeira
on Aug 30, 2013 at 2:11:12 pm

hi guys,

i have the excat same problem. after exporting in diferent formats the problem persists..

do you managed to solve this?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]