COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Beal
422 control Feature request
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:05:42 pm

Would love to see Sony Protocol implemented on KiPro
Workflow would be
Dump whatever footage to KiPro from any tape machine in house SDI w TC
downconvert or assemble edit to another tape machine via machine to machine edit using 422 remote

ie 1080i from HDCam to KiPro
KiPro to dbeta via 422 control to assemble to dbeta comp reel for SD dubs.

It appears our DS's and FCP's can drive the KiPro however dbeta's will not.
This would expand the functionality of the KiPro greatly in our particular situation. I know it's not designed for this but it would be a welcome addition

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: 422 control Feature request
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:53:26 pm

Hey Doug, there is a box, I want to call it like the "Rosetta Stone" but I know that's not right, that may solve that problem. Hopefully someone will jump in that knows what I'm talking about, but we used to use them for a variety of applications like this back in the deck-to-deck linear days.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:54:36 pm

Thanks for your reply Chuck. I think what you are talking about is getting 232 or 33pin parallel remotes to behave in the 422 control world and I believe Addenda was (is) the manufacturer. They still manufacture great products.
http://www.addenda.com/addenda-elect/app_list.php
This is a little different. I'm hoping AJA further implements the existing 422 control to emulate Sony protocol to enable the KiPro to be used as a source in machine to machine (deck to deck) editing.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:08:50 pm

I see what you're getting at Doug, they does make a lot of sense. Hopefully the AJA people that check in on this board will note your request.

I had thought about using two Ki Pro's for quick and dirty "linear editing" to build a quick highlight package for sports. I guess I would need this update as well to make that work.

Chuck

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:50:14 am

The difficulty with syncing a KiPro, or any digital stream via the RS-422 Sony Protocol, is the slew command that any Sony device will send in order to "bump" a deck into sync with another. The KiPro may very well ignore the slew command and therefore never synchronize. Now there is hope... if the initial play command is timed just right and the KiPro reports TC in sync, then the Sony device will not send a slew command and the edit will proceed. If Aja would allow for custom advance/delay settings it may be possible to tweak and sync on the initial play command.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:02:41 pm

Yes the disadvantage of no preroll. I seem to remember driving an old Accom hard disk with a dbeta. not the WSD but the big rackmount unit, whatever that was called.
If you knew the playback delay of the device and monitored the SMPTE word of the controlling machine and fed the output of the recording deck to the input of the KiPro for sync one would hope for sync.
Thanks for your insight John

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]