FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPROHD PC to Mac?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
DVCPROHD PC to Mac?
on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:14:37 pm

I need to utilize a PC for a capture bay. My native editing will be ProRes in FCP, so I'll have to transfer my captures since PCs can read but not write ProRes. I'm looking at using an LHi on the PC to capture to DVCPROHD. My question is this; can I take the DVCPROHD footage directly from the PC to the Mac and start editing natively in a DVCPROHD timeline (also using an LHi on the Mac)? Or does the DVCPROHD footage captured on a PC have to go through a color space or other conversion when being transferred from PC to Mac?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: DVCPROHD PC to Mac?
on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:38:41 pm

How are you planning to capture DVCPro HD on a PC? If it's an AVI, you will have to transcode to a .mov.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:51:46 pm

Well, yes AVI I suppose. But I was hoping that since the codec is the same, I could merely rename the .avi wrapper to .mov and have it work without having to convert and go through generational loss (and the additional time to convert).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:20:09 am

If it were only that easy. I would check out your options with AJA Machina with an LHi and windows.

i know you can work like this with v210, but DVCPro HD you might not be able to. AVIs work terribly in FCP.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jan 4, 2011 at 1:49:25 am

Thanks. I've never used the included AJA capture software. I'm glad to see that it gives you access to all codecs supported by the card (except for ProRes on windows, of course). One of the things killing me about the Blackmagic and Matrox solutions, is that the included capture utilities only give you access to 8-bit uncompressed, and then the codec of their choice. Assuming the Mac is able to read the native PC captured DVCPROHD .avi files, I suppose I'll just have to setup a droplet to convert to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:05:45 am

Perhaps you should think about a KiPro, or at least renting one.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:53:42 am

Yeah, I've definitely considered it. But at $4k, it's a bit pricey. For that price, I could get an entry level Mac Pro plus a Kona LHi. I've also been looking at the KiPro Mini and the Ninja, but who knows exactly when those will be available for shippping.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:26:56 am

Do you have an lhi already?

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:56:21 am

Nope, about to order one for a Mac Pro and then the one for the PC, which will probably be transferred over to a second Mac Pro mid-year. At that point I'll look at a replacement for the capture bay, which will likely be a Ninja or KiPro Mini (to also serve a dual purpose for an AF100).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:41:52 pm

I'm a little confused on your workflow, but good luck with everything!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]