FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using the Ki Pro to upres 60D hdmi SD output while shooting, to a Panasonic HD Broadcast Monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Lang
Using the Ki Pro to upres 60D hdmi SD output while shooting, to a Panasonic HD Broadcast Monitor
on Dec 11, 2010 at 3:43:30 am

I have been recording to Prores 422 on the Ki Pro by "playing" my Canon 60D HD SLR h.264 files back via the HDMI output of the camera, with great results.

I can also monitor the live output of the camera in SD through the HDMI out of the 60D to the Ki Pro and then SDI out of the Ki Pro to my Panasonic BT-LH1710 Broadcast Monitor.

I can focus the camera nicely using the monitor while previewing, but when I press the record button, the monitor turns green and skewed.

Now if instead I plug the composite out from the 60D directly to the monitor, I can focus and record with no problem. But it is SD.

So if it works with the composite, why don't I just use that right? Well, I was hoping to take the signal from the 60D, run it through the Ki Pro and upres it via HDSDI out to the Panasonic. Does that make sense? But since I can not monitor the signal out of camera once it starts recording if I am using HDMI out, then it is an exercise in futility.

Has anyone run into this? Is there a solution?

My Ki Pro is set to HDMI in for audio and video inputs. I did not upres because I just wanted to see if I could get a picture while in record mode on the 60D.

Norman Lang
Lang Productions
http://www.langproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Using the Ki Pro to upres 60D hdmi SD output while shooting, to a Panasonic HD Broadcast Monitor
on Dec 11, 2010 at 5:01:52 pm

[Norman Lang] "I can focus the camera nicely using the monitor while previewing, but when I press the record button, the monitor turns green and skewed. "

Welcome to the world of shooting video on still cameras. It's a treat, isn't it?

[Norman Lang] "So if it works with the composite, why don't I just use that right? Well, I was hoping to take the signal from the 60D, run it through the Ki Pro and upres it via HDSDI out to the Panasonic."

The Kipro doens't have composite in, and besides, it's way overkill. Just plug your compostie in to your monitor and let the monitor do the scaling. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

[Norman Lang] "Is there a solution?"

Perhaps think about getting a video camera that has everything you need it to do, and more. Like real time video and audio monitoring. What a concept! :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Norman Lang
Re: Using the Ki Pro to upres 60D hdmi SD output while shooting, to a Panasonic HD Broadcast Monitor
on Dec 11, 2010 at 5:43:04 pm

I love shooting with my XL H1 and the Ki Pro. So yes, nice to shoot with a video camera. I just saw a presentation by Richard Harrington up here in Boston, where he mentioned using AJA with a Panasonic Monitor, so I assumed he was doing some kind of signal conversion. I guess you are saying that can't happen. I am OK with that, I just thought I was doing something wrong. It looks ok using the composite out. I have been reluctant to go down the HDSLR just because I like a camera with auto focus (if needed), a nice form factor, XLR audio connections, and SDI out connections. But like many of us, the damn picture is just so cool on these little cameras, that we wind up sacrificing a lot of the niceties of the "established" video world. I really thought I could outsmart the system by taking the HDMI out to the Ki Pro and upres it to my monitor. Who do I think I am? Phillip Bloom?

Norman Lang
Lang Productions

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Dec 14, 2010 at 5:18:31 pm

I just wanted to add that I use my Ki Pro with the Panasonic 2600 monitor. (Larger version of yours) and never had any issues like that. I love the monitor and they are perfect match for each other, so its definitely your still camera that's not playing nice...sorry :(

Return to posts index

Norman Lang
on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:40:00 pm

There is no question in my mind. The monitor is great and the Ki Pro works with everything else. I just thought that the HDMI out from the 60D would get me at least an SD image while recording, but it does not. So I need to use the composite connection directly to the monitor. Good to know though. If I had bought a monitor specifically for that camera (Canon 60D) that only had HDMI in, I would be a little disappointed.
As to your point about the Ki Pro and the monitor, I couldn't agree more. It is just a beautiful thing to record that nice Prores codec via HDSDI and monitor it on the Panny.

Norman Lang
Lang Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]