FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro for premiere playback

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Wolfe
Ki Pro for premiere playback
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:55:10 pm

I have a video project finishing in the beginning of 2011 and am considering using the Ki Pro for playback in theaters, has anyone done this? all of my final exports are ProRes so the Ki Pro seems like the perfect playback device for maximum quality. just curious if anyone has experience with using the Ki Pro in this manner.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki Pro for premiere playback
on Dec 10, 2010 at 5:11:30 pm

It would be an awesome and convenient way to go.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:45:45 pm

cool, that's what I thought but I wanted to double check. thanks jeremy. another question though... after reading some posts it looks like I'll have to export my ProRes playback masters with dual mono as opposed to one stereo track for best playback? or has that issue been addressed with a firmware update?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:47:01 pm

[Dan Wolfe] " after reading some posts it looks like I'll have to export my ProRes playback masters with dual mono as opposed to one stereo track for best playback?"

That is still correct. You would then have to pan left and right through whatever system you are connected to. Easy.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on Dec 10, 2010 at 6:57:31 pm

hmm... so since I might encounter all types of different projector & audio setups at each venue it would probably be best to pan the two mono channels left and right in FCP before exporting correct? just in case I don't have control of the pan at the venue?

I'm using a Kona LHi in a Mac Pro. My projects are all AJA easy setup 720p59.94 ProRes

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:17:24 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "be best to pan the two mono channels left and right in FCP before exporting correct?"

You can't pan a mono file.

In the theatre, Ch1 goes to ch1, ch2 goes to ch2 and you will be fine. It sounds like stereo, it's just carried dual mono.

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:24:24 pm

wait, I can pan a mono file in FCP. just tested. if I import a stereo music track and then Option-L to make the stereo track dual mono, I can then pan each mono track. am I missing something obvious?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:30:08 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "wait, I can pan a mono file in FCP."

Not in the timeline, you can't, and that doesn't make any sense what so ever. There's is no left or right in mono, it's just a direct connection if you will. One speaker. If you set the timeline up for dual mono out, you can only select which channel it goes to on the output, you can't pan the track. You can't do this in the viewer, has to be done through the audio settings of the timeline, then you assign which tracks will play to ch1, and which to ch2.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:45:00 pm

got it. I know I sounded really stupid thinking that I could pan a mono track but I was just confused for a minute since I had the pan option in FCP. I wasn't thinking about the fact that that was dependent on my audio output setup, which was stereo. once I switched the sequence settings to output dual mono, obviously the option wasn't there. duh me. so general practice for me would be to use my normal stereo sequence settings for editing, etc, and then just before preparing a Ki Pro version for playback, duplicate my sequence and change the audio output to dual mono and export a Ki Pro specific version, correct?

apologies for the momentary mental molasses,

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 10, 2010 at 7:47:02 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "and then just before preparing a Ki Pro version for playback, duplicate my sequence and change the audio output to dual mono and export a Ki Pro specific version, correct?"

That's what I do, yes. You just have to make sure that your tracks are setup properly (what you want on ch1, and what you want on ch2). It's a very quick process.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]