FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forced to Mac?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Crowley
Forced to Mac?
on Dec 10, 2010 at 3:01:31 pm

It appears, at least from my initial investigation, that there is no practical method of getting content off a KiPro disk in a PC Windows environment in the field. By practical, I mean something even approaching "real-time" (hour for hour).

I tried a shareware application that claims to be able to read Mac disks ("HFSExplorer") but I could never even get it to see the KiPro disk. Now, I'm trying "MacDisk" but it is taking around 10 hours to transfer a ~100GB file (~90 min)

I am speaking from a field environment where I need to use a laptop to download the content between performances, etc. Perhaps a dedicated setup in an edit suite would be faster, but a 4-pin Firewire port into an average PC laptop just does not seem practical in the Real World. The Windows Explorer is telling me that I am getting 3-5 MB/sec. :-(

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
Re: Forced to Mac?
on Dec 10, 2010 at 4:33:04 pm

I am very much in agreement Richard. Through my testing, I have found “Mac Drive” ($50) to be the best program for our problem. I think it is slightly faster than “Mac Disk” but the issue is still there. Let me know if you come up with a solution, as there are many of us in the same boat.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:09:56 am

Well I am trying a couple of alternatives.
The disk module for the KiPro has two I/O ports on it. A Firewire 800 connector, and a SATA connector (with a "Slimline" 6-pin power connector along side) This SATA data/power connector is the one that the KiPro recorder uses to talk to the hard drive module.

My first attempt was using a Firewire cable with the Firewire 800 big connector at the KiPro disk end, and the tiny 4-pin Firewire plug at the other end (which fits my Vaio laptop). I'm not sure whether it was the laptop or the mini-Firewire connection that was making things creep along at 3-5 Mb/sec, but it was intolerable.

I switched to my bigger desktop edit system (Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz) and I installed a "SIIG DP FireWire 800 PCI-32T" board ($60) and I used a Firewire 800 to 800 cable (which also provides power) The copy speed says "1.46MB/second" which is not even good enough to be pathetic and pitiful. It is downright ridiculous. What a colossal waste of time and $$

Then I also installed a simple "Slimline SATA to SATA Power/Data adapter" cable ($6 at my neighborhood computer parts shop) and it is running at 60-80MB/sec! This is clearly the method of choice, at least in my book. Just thought I should share the discovery in case anyone is interested.

SIIG card: http://www.enuinc.com/io-fw800-siig-001.html
SATA cable: http://www.enuinc.com/acc-psa-sata-slim2.html

I am using "Mac Drive 8" software to allow reading the Mac formatted disk on my PC.

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:04:30 pm

The AJA Sales Department has been informed that there may be some specific settings that need to be adjusted if you are using FireWire devices (like the Ki Pro Storage Module) when operating under Windows 7.

1. Open "My Computer" or "Computer" from your (Start) Menu.
2. Right-click the external hard disk drive from the list and select "properties"
7. Click the "Hardware" tab.
8. Highlight the Ki Pro Storage Module from the drive list and click on "Properties".
9. Click on the “Policies” tab.
10. You will see two radio buttons - "Optimize for quick removal" and "optimize for performance".
11. If not selected, select "Optimize for performance" and click on "OK". If running Vista or Windows 7 also check "enable write caching on the disk".
12. Click on "OK" and exit.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:09:16 pm

I would have hoped that would fix the problem, but alas, it does not appear to make any practical difference. The speed is still down around 1MB/sec which is simply not usable in the real world.

Return to posts index

Daniel Gardner
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:23:06 pm

So, you successfully connected your AJA Storage Module to a Windows PC by using the "Mac Drive" software with a Slimline SATA to SATA Power/Data adapter, correct?

I just want to clearly understand, as I am trying to tackle this same problem. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ben King
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:32:39 am

Hi Daniel,

I have done exactly what you you are talking about in the past. I think I had to reboot each time I connected due to the eSata connection. It was a while ago though so things might have changed in that regard. I ended up getting a MacBook!

Good luck

Return to posts index

Dave Cain
on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:08:43 am

I have been reading forums as I am gearing up to build a big transfer/compression station for use on conventions where the client wants MP4 files, instead of a mountain of data.
My idea is to buy a couple Firewire 800 PCI Express cards and have a couple 4TB drives internally.
After reading around it seems that people are having the slow transfer problem with 64bit versions of Windows. One person mentioned that his 32bit Windows XP transferred to his firewire mini just fine, and yet on his Windows 7 x64, it dropped to the slow rates you experienced.
Just out of curiosity, do you have a 64bit OS running on your laptop?
I hope to be able to afford building this system soon. :-)

Have fun,
Dave C
http://www.techprofl.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]