FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro or Ki Pro Mini with Varicam VFR

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris magid
on Nov 26, 2010 at 5:47:58 pm

How do the Ki Pro products handle variable frame recording from a Varicam H? Specifically how does it record off speed slow motions...48fps, etc?

What is the workflow through post production via Avid Media Composer?

The taped based workflow relies on the flags read in the video stream during firewire capture.

Since Ki Pro is basically eliminating digitizing and creating edit ready media, I assume it has be reading those flags and recording files with slow motion already "applied".

Curious as we are thinking of stretching the use of older Varicam H by giving it the ability to record 10bit ProRes HQ via Ki Pro Mini.

Chris Magid
RTVF

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:09:12 pm

Hi Chris,

I would like to have that functionality as well.

I would pay over the RRP to support full Varicam functionality, I know the camera has some unusual characteristics in the Post Path but its supported on the Kona three so why not port that functionality over to the Ki Pro Mini?

There would be thousands of Varicams around the world given a second life not to mention many sales of Ki Pro Mini to those Varicam owners...

I just sold my ingest 1200VTR for the Varicam to free up cash for a Ki Pro Mini.

Here's hoping, AJA is famous for listening to their customers.

Best

Tim Maloney
Axis Films Australia

Heres

Vari

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

chris magid
Re: KiPro or Ki Pro Mini with Varicam VFR
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:18:42 pm

Ah. So this is a trick it cannot turn. A shame.

However not everyone shoots off speed material and there are plenty of workflows the Ki Pro seems right for. Just not ours.

Would have been nice.

Chris Magid
RTVF

chris magid
chris@gortvf,com
Renaissance Television & Film
http://www.gortvf.com

Return to posts index

Tim Maloney
on Nov 26, 2010 at 9:25:22 pm

Chris,

All is not lost it supports the major frame rates now.

The full suite of VFR- not yet.

From a thread over at DVUSER

"Ki Pro Mini will support what the current Ki Pro does upon release:
525i 29.97
625i 25
720p 23.98/59.94
720p 25/50
720p 29.97/59.94
720p 50
720p 59.94
1080PsF 23.98
1080PsF 24
1080p 23.98
1080p 24
1080p 25
1080i 25
1080i 29.97

No slow motion capability is provided at this time, but the product does support 720p 59.94 fps"

Thats a quote from John Thorn at AJA. Note the "at this time"....

Hopefully soon.

Best

Tim

Tim Maloney
Managing Director
Axis Films Melbourne Australia
tim@axisfilms.com.au

Return to posts index

chris magid
on Nov 27, 2010 at 7:03:01 pm

I don't think supporting all those frame rates helps deliver the ability to record slow motion.

The Varicam, at least the tape based variety, records everything as 720p 60. Flags in the data stream tell various devices what to do upon playback. 23.98p being a special case which decks can decode as a true 23.98p output or cross covert to 1080i with pulldown added.

I am not sure these flags exist in the SDI output of the Varicam. If they did the Ki Pro could read those flags to allow the video to be recorded at the frame rate set in the Varicam. If the flags are not in the SDI output then the KiPro could do things to let you record 720p60 as 720p 23.98. But both these cases would require some sort of caching of frames to temporary storage. Not a lot, but a little.

Can you force Ki Pro to do such a thing a now?

Is that why your reply mentioned "the full suite of VFR, not yet" and ""No slow motion capability is provided at this time, but the product does support 720p 59.94 fps".

We don't use a whole bunch of wild frame rates. Pretty much 23.98 and 48fps. So if there was a workflow which allowed for some sort of true slow motion, it would be great to know about.

Maybe I am missing something very simple.

Chris Magid
RTVF

chris magid
chris@gortvf,com
Renaissance Television & Film
http://www.gortvf.com

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Dec 13, 2010 at 7:15:15 am

Tim,

The NanoFlash will work in 25P VFR mode with the Varicam. I sold my Nano when the Ki Mini was announced but now regret it as the Ki doesn't have that functionality. The only thing is you have to run audio from the Audio Out (or headphone jack) into the Nano to get sync sound. But I'm think of getting another Nano to work with my Varicam and AF102.

I did have an issue with firing the NanoFlash because of the wierdo T/C from the 60Hz/25P Varicam. There was a very slight delay intil the Nanao started recording, but I think this was being looked at by the CD guys.

[Tim Maloney] "Hi Chris,

I would like to have that functionality as well.

I would pay over the RRP to support full Varicam functionality, I know the camera has some unusual characteristics in the Post Path but its supported on the Kona three so why not port that functionality over to the Ki Pro Mini?

There would be thousands of Varicams around the world given a second life not to mention many sales of Ki Pro Mini to those Varicam owners...

I just sold my ingest 1200VTR for the Varicam to free up cash for a Ki Pro Mini.

Here's hoping, AJA is famous for listening to their customers.

Best

Tim Maloney
Axis Films Australia"

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]