FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video 8 through Ki Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deb Field
Video 8 through Ki Pro
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:16:54 pm

I've been using my Ki Pro with a Sony EX3 and getting beautiful results in Pro Res. All is well in the digital world, but need I help in analog land.

I want to digitize 40 Video 8/Hi8/8mm tapes. A friend at a post production house will do the work. They have a Sony Video 8 EV-C200 deck, and I'm supplying the Ki Pro and external hard drive. The post house doesn't yet own a Ki Pro, but they've digitized every tape format there is. I want to digitize to Pro Res, and will edit in FCP. I'm a tape rookie, so need my hand held on workflow.

1. Is there any reason not to use Pro Res for the codec? The tapes are obviously old, so I might do some color correction in FCP.
2. Is the correct video connection Component Out from the deck to the 3 KiPro YPbPr input BNCs?
3. For audio, do I use RCA out from the deck to the Ki Pro? On the config menu, do I choose analog audio of +12dBu, since it's a consumer signal level?
4. What other capture settings on the Ki Pro will optimize the editing options of this old, home footage of mine?

Thanks from a dedicated Cow reader. This belongs on a basics forum, but I don't yet see one for Ki Pro.

Deb

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Video 8 through Ki Pro
on Nov 22, 2010 at 7:44:53 pm

[Deb Field] "1. Is there any reason not to use Pro Res for the codec? The tapes are obviously old, so I might do some color correction in FCP. "

With a KiPro you don't have a choice (it's ProRes all the time) so you are good.

[Deb Field] "2. Is the correct video connection Component Out from the deck to the 3 KiPro YPbPr input BNCs? "

Yes. Choose the SMPTE color space.

[Deb Field] "3. For audio, do I use RCA out from the deck to the Ki Pro? On the config menu, do I choose analog audio of +12dBu, since it's a consumer signal level?"

Not if going through a mixer.

[Deb Field] "4. What other capture settings on the Ki Pro will optimize the editing options of this old, home footage of mine?"

Nothing really, just choose ProRes and record @ 525i.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Deb Field
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:30:04 pm

Thanks for the advice. I just don't understand the answer to the audio question. I am not using a mixer. On the config menu, which audio level should I choose? Also, on the audio connectivity, sorry to be lame, but could you explain the cable connection? Does the audio come in through the deck via RCA and go out from the ki pro embedded via the SDI? Argh! Feeling analogaphobic.

Deb

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:55:17 pm

[Deb Field] "Does the audio come in through the deck via RCA and go out from the ki pro embedded via the SDI?"

Aren't you trying to capture the hi8 to the KiPro? if so, audio is out of the deck, in to the kipro.

[Deb Field] "On the config menu, which audio level should I choose?"

+12 is fine.

Return to posts index

Deb Field
on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:32:31 pm

Thanks so much. Just need to get some RCA to BNC adapters and I'm ready to go. Appreciate the help.

Deb

Return to posts index

Deb Field
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:22:51 pm

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for your help yesterday. I finally got the schematic of the Sony Video 8 deck. There is no RCA video green/red/blue connection. The best component connection is S-Video. The S-Video to BNC adapters send the video signal through one cable for chroma and one for luminance, which doesn't mesh with the 3xBNC video In on the Ki Pro.

Is there any solution that you know of or should I be on the hunt for another deck? Thanks.

Deb

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:28:53 pm

You need a composite to component convertor.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Deb Field
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:01:50 pm

Thanks, I just googled that and will start wading through the choices.

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:37:45 am

I'm using a Blackmagic analog to SDI convertor close to the deck. Also connect the audio. so the audio is embedded into the SDI signal.
They are more easy to find then the CVBS to Component devices, and you go directly digital instead of converting first to another analog signal which adds noise.

Return to posts index

Deb Field
on Nov 24, 2010 at 9:43:28 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm good to go.

Deb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]