FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro and mobile hotspot devices (MiFi)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Smith
Ki Pro and mobile hotspot devices (MiFi)
on Nov 6, 2010 at 1:53:30 pm

Just wanted to report that I've successfully gotten wireless control of two Ki Pro units simultaneously using a MiFi mobile hotspot device.

So far I've only tried it with the network open, but will try some security and see what happens.

It took a bit of futzing, one of the units didn't want to give up an earlier DHCP assigned IP address, which would not connect. The fix was to turn off the MiFi and power cycle the Ki Pro, then wait for it to report "No DHCP Server". Restarting the MiFi then allowed it to assign a valid address and now I have control of both machines.

No gang control yet, I'll futz some more, but naming clips and such in the field just got a whole lot easier for me (if I can indeed replicate these results in the field).

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Ki Pro and mobile hotspot devices (MiFi)
on Nov 6, 2010 at 2:58:27 pm

[David Smith] "No gang control yet, I'll futz some more, but naming clips and such in the field just got a whole lot easier for me (if I can indeed replicate these results in the field)."

Guys,

as jeremy said setting this up for wireless is best done via the browser using a fixed ETHERNET connection, I have worked with these units from the very beginning and after fighting the setup via the front panel for the first 6 months in pre-release, I found that I could setup the wireless faster, with less frustration by connecting a hardline to setup the units then converting to wireless.

NOTE: Gang Controls can only be set via the browser.

You CANNOT setup GANG functions from the front of the unit, and to command the GANG settings needs to have an active connection to each other. While this can be done over wireless- it will be far more reliable by using a standard RJ45 Ethernet connection as the 802.11 spectrum can effect some wireless audio systems and some camera controllers.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Nov 6, 2010 at 5:24:35 pm

[gary adcock] "While this can be done over wireless- it will be far more reliable by using a standard RJ45 Ethernet connection as the 802.11 spectrum can effect some wireless audio systems and some camera controllers."

All very good advice Gary, thank you. It is nice to know the feature works though, since sometimes it's not practical to bring a computer and ethernet router into the field, whereas the Touch and MiFi fit in one pocket.

I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to comment technically about the effects 802.11 broadcasts have on other equipment. From a practical standpoint though, they are used in every mobile unit, every television studio, every theater, stadium, opera house and concert hall I work in. Many shoots have multiple departments running their own networks in addition to the house system(s). Heck, even the audio department sometimes!

That being said, your point is well taken, a wired system is certainly more reliable. For me, it's nice to know that wireless connectivity is possible.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 7, 2010 at 12:27:55 pm

[David Smith] "All very good advice Gary, thank you. It is nice to know the feature works though, since sometimes it's not practical to bring a computer and ethernet router into the field, whereas the Touch and MiFi fit in one pocket."

David.
That is what PREP days are for with any tapeless workflow ALWAYS have a laptop handy to check media, fix drive corruption and to check and handle the media.

Once the WiFi is set via hardline it will will become the default for the wireless settings and would stay until changed- so that there should be NO changes in the field.

[David Smith] "From a practical standpoint though, they are used in every mobile unit, every television studio, every theater, stadium, opera house and concert hall I work in. Many shoots have multiple departments running their own networks in addition to the house system(s). Heck, even the audio department sometimes!"

All the better reasoning to run device control of your master recording via SOMETHING ELSE, I would never compromise my camera master which is what we are talking about.

When there are multiple Devices accessing via WIFI there can be delays and COM errors due to the error correction inherent in 802.11

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]