FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro & EX1 recording format & post workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon Girbon
Ki Pro & EX1 recording format & post workflow
on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:14:11 pm

Just used a Ki Pro for the 1st time to shoot a green screen job on a Sony EX1- hoping to make post easier.
I was concerned on the day that it said 50i on the front panel of the Ki Pro (we were shooting PAL 25P).
I rang the rental house where I got it and they said it would be recording progressive, just that the unit doesn't correctly detect the SDI flavour coming out of the EX1 (this was prior to the Ver 2 Ki update) and that it was a quick fix in post to make sure the footage was in the right format.
This didn't instil me with a lot of confidence but as we had a lot to shoot I had to trust the 'advice' I was given. I also recorded on SxS cards as a backup.

Well, I want to start importing the footage into FCP to start our edit.
My question is what do I need to do with the footage to make sure it's in the correct 25P format?
I've imported 1 piece into FCP and it says it has an Upper Field dominance - to me this means it's being read as interlaced.
Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
Damon

Damon Girbon
The Media Lounge
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki Pro & EX1 recording format & post workflow
on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:19:59 pm

[Damon Girbon] "I've imported 1 piece into FCP and it says it has an Upper Field dominance - to me this means it's being read as interlaced."

Simply change that field dom to none (you can select a bunch of clips and right click and change it none in a batch) and then make sure you are editing on a "none" timeline.

Your footage was recorded as psf, which is progressive content in an interlaced delivery (meaning field by field). If your camera was in fact set to p or psf, you are fine.

For next time, you can set the Kipro to record 1080 as psf, and all the movs will have the proper progressive flag. (For the GUI it's in the config menu, set record type to PsF, or parameter 1.1 in the Config menu from the KiPro itself).

What you are doing is changing this process manually, but it is essentially the same thing IF (and only if) your camera was setup properly in the first place. If it wasn't, it's not the Ki's fault.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]