FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio only question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Rowley
Audio only question
on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:14:49 am

Does the Ki-Pro need to be fed a video signal in order to record an analog audio signal? In other words, if I needed to record a narration in studio through the XLR inputs could that be done (only audio - no video?) And if so are there any "gotcha's" in using the Ki-pro as an audio recorder in a pinch?

Dual 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.0.6), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Audio only question
on Sep 30, 2010 at 1:58:28 pm

I would imagine it does as there's no way to 'turn off' video recording and will throw an error about genlock if there's no video. That being said, the signal could be anything as long as it's stable. Your "audio files" would acutally be ProRes video files with embedded audio that you would then have to strip out.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:43:20 pm

Kim and Jeremy,
One way to record audio using the Ki Pro without using an input video source is to turn on the Video Signal Generator provided in the Ki Pro CONFIG menu. This will produce a video test pattern, like color bars, and then you can input your audio source via the XLR inputs. The resulting file will be color bars with your desired audio recording.

Jeremy is correct though; you need to produce some sort of video signal to go with the audio as the QuickTimes produced by Ki Pro always produce audio, video and timecode tracks. The use of the signal generator would seem to be good solution for your needs in this case.

Hope this is helpful information.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:46:11 pm

Yes that's very clear. We're looking forward to having a Ki-pro in our facility very soon. Thanks for the response.

Dual 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Xserve RAID, AJA IO, 2 20" Cinema Display, FCP Studio 2 (6.0.6), OS X10.4.11

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2010 at 7:25:45 pm

[AJA Sales Department] "One way to record audio using the Ki Pro without using an input video source is to turn on the Video Signal Generator provided in the Ki Pro CONFIG menu."

Of course, why didn't I think of that? ;)

Return to posts index

Kim Rowley
on Sep 30, 2010 at 6:44:22 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I guessed as much. I've asked for a unit to try.
Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]