FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro output vs Blu Ray

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Erlinder
Ki Pro output vs Blu Ray
on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:34:40 pm

OK, I think I know the answer to this, but people will not listen on my end.

A project was done in Apple Pro Res 1080P and my intent was to play it out of the Ki Pro for the screening. When the creators looked at it they said it sucked and preferred the Blu-Ray they made.

I cannot for the life of me see how that is possible given the MPeg2 Blu Ray compression. I set the projector up to bars and just ran the Quicktime via HDMI straight to the projector.

They played their disc off the Blu Ray in the rack via HDMI, so it should be same same as far as signal. I'm not sure if they ever had a real monitor for critical grading while editing, so that may be where the whining lies?

Any ideas folks? Does the KiPRo have any gamma adjustment I haven't found?

Thanks for any help!

Scott

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Ki Pro output vs Blu Ray
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:22:54 pm

I've never tried to measure it, but I imagine the KiPro output would be superior to a Blu-ray which has been compressed. But I can't say if the difference would be visible to most. Did you do a direct A/B comparison of the two?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Sep 24, 2010 at 12:08:11 am

John,
There was no switcher in the system to show a split screen, but, to my eye, the blacks were richer on the Ki Pro output and better color. Maybe they liked the "grungy" desaturation of the Blu-Ray....

I guess it's what you subjectively feel, but now they have rejected using the Ki Pro for anything.
Big mistake in my mind...but that is just me.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 24, 2010 at 2:31:28 pm

I agree with you. I'll be ordering a KiPro mini soon, and being able to use it for high-quality playback is one of the reasons for the purchase.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 24, 2010 at 3:41:56 pm

What frame rate? You said 1080p.

How was the playback configured? p or psf?

There's no conceivable way the KiPro would look worse. Really. My thinking is that the KiPro might not have been optimized for playback to the projector.

What kind of projector?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Sep 24, 2010 at 11:12:46 pm

Jeremy,
It was 1080p 23.98. Quicktime was made from timeline export of Red camera files.(Not by me)
As far as setting up the projector, the best I could do was set it to bars as I had no calibration software.

I know it should look better, it only makes sense, but maybe they were looking at the color grade of their Quicktime on their cinema display with the wrong gamma (2.2) before they gave me the file and used that as their basis for discontent.

Hard to know where to go from here, since they aren't very knowledgeable technically...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]