FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro MINI CF Card transfer time vs P2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Burleson
KiPro MINI CF Card transfer time vs P2
on Sep 17, 2010 at 4:36:54 pm

I am trying to figure out a transfer time comparison between P2 1.2Gps which equals 150MBps with Log and trasfer time vs KiPro MINIs CF cards at 90MBps with no conversion time since it is already ProRes.
In the end ... is it a wash? Or are P2 cards still faster to transfer and start editing?
Some of our projects require ingesting or offloading over 60 hours of raw footage. So, speed is important to us. I love the idea of shooting directly to ProRes ready to edit files and I am considering putting the KiPro MINI on the back of a Panasonic HPX-370, but not if it is going to be slower than offloading P2 cards.
I suppose it is hard to say at this point since the KiPro MINI isn't being shipped yet, but if someone has some experience in transfer speeds of CF UDMA 6 cards and P2 cards, please enlighten me.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: KiPro MINI CF Card transfer time vs P2
on Sep 17, 2010 at 8:23:11 pm

There's a Lexar FW800 reader that claims 800Mb/sec (or 100MB/sec). And Lexar also has an ExpressCard reader that screams at 2.5Gbps.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Randy Burleson
on Sep 17, 2010 at 9:23:09 pm

Yeah, but the UDMA 6 600x card can only move 90MBps. Isn't that right? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 19, 2010 at 5:24:11 am

Hi Randy,
I think you are mixing "Mbps" with "MB/s".
Up to PANASONIC, the P2 transfer speed may reach 600 Mbps, what is equivalent to 75 MB/s.
This I guess "in ideal conditions".
You can get that transfer speed from fast CF cards through FW as John points.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]