FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone know about the "Ninja"

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Elkins
Does anyone know about the "Ninja"
on Sep 14, 2010 at 11:22:23 pm

I an sorry if this is the wrong forum but here goes. I was looking to but a KiPro Mini when I ran across this: Ninja by Atomos
http://www.atomos.com/
On first look it looks good and could be competition for AJA.I don't know anything about this company. Has anyone any information about this product?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Does anyone know about the "Ninja"
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:57:53 pm

Considering it's not released, I'm sure that there's not much real world info on it yet.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
Re: Does anyone know about the
on Sep 23, 2010 at 10:58:05 am

Only what\'s on the web, but was thinking of purchasing 4 MRC1Ks for my Sony V1s, as the ki pro and even the mini is a bit steep, I ingest hdv as pro res for multicam shoots, but now I\'m holding off having tripped up over something on the web, and seeing the ninja advertised. It would be nice to able to record pro res and better take it directly off the front end of the camera at 1920x1080, I was toying with making a big investment in Sony EX, but having worked shoots with EX operators, i feel the ninja might save me a good deal of money, might significantly extend the life of my v1s or maybe only upgrade to Z5s for about half the price of EX, sort like bolting on a turbocharger to an automobile, instant extra power! And tapeless to speed up post. Win, win, win!

I need to know more!!! There must be a catch...

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 23, 2010 at 11:10:42 am

[Chris Simpson] "I was toying with making a big investment in Sony EX, but having worked shoots with EX operators, i feel the ninja might save me a good deal of money"

how are you going to get the EX content into the Ninja? from my reading the unit is only HDMI?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Alex Vargas
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:21:07 am

Hello Gary,

I have exactly the same question, but hope/heard Atomos might well come out with an HD-SDI version. Too early to know, but quite attractive to me.

:0)

Alex Vargas
EX1/Elite/Nikon, Zeiss
Macpro 2.1, 3.0 dual quad, 8GB RAM
Macbookpro 15"
FCP 7+
Logic 9+

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Nov 17, 2010 at 8:31:17 am

Gary,

I meant I wouldnt invest in an EX if I could significantly boost my V1 performance by bolting on the ninja to the hdmi of the v1, i.e. Taking pro res HQ at 1920x1080 off the chip, rather than converting the compressed hdv 1440 x 1080 on ingest to fcp.

I travelled to the macvideo expo in London in October and had a chat to main man jeromy young, i suggested buiIding in timecode synchronisation feature so the ninjas could all record the same timecode at the same time for cameras without that feature built in, or running cables between pro cameras, he subsequently responded by email, and came over as a genuine good guy. Was disappointed not to see a functioning prototype, he told me they would be in QA testing about now, that there are plans for a hdi/sdi version, this version was squarely aimed at the dslr market (i assume these are hdmi) but having completed a pre order interest form I'd really like to see one working soon, or hear of progress, otherwise I might buy an ex1/3 after all before a january tax change in the uk. A lot of show appearances but otherwise fairly quiet on the Atomos website, and I really do hope this is for real as it has great potential and is a good idea. It would take 3-4 days of ingest out of my multicam post at a stroke.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 17, 2010 at 1:33:30 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't by a KiPro mini and be done!

Although it's not shipping quite yet either. I bet it's close, though.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:21:54 pm

Oddly enough jeremy I'm considering doing that, but if it works the ninja retails for £7-800, by the time I've added a 256 Gb SSD and bits and bobs to mount it I reckon it'll be something like £1250-1300, in the UK the ki pro mini is advertised above £2000 add the mounting stuff and potentially id like at least 6 of them. Plus though I'd have no problem navigating around the ki pro mini, I have some people helping out who aren't 'pros' and the ninja interface looks like a simple and intuitive GUI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]