FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki-Pro vs. HDcam

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Ehrmann
Ki-Pro vs. HDcam
on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:16:20 pm

Hi All,

I produce concert videos and am considering recording a multi-camera shoot (using Sony 1500's), with Ki-Pro recorders instead of HDcam, which is what I normally use.

Does anyone have experience with using the Ki-Pro's with full HD cameras, under extreme lighting conditions? I realize on paper that ProResHQ is a better format than HDcam (10bit vs. 8bit, 220mbps vs 150mbps, 4:2:2 vs. 3:1:1, 1920 vs.1440), but am concerned that at the end of the day, it is still a compressed codec where I might get artifacting in heavy strobe lighting, pyro, or just hot lighting.

Any experience or expertise would be appreciated!

Barry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki-Pro vs. HDcam
on Sep 13, 2010 at 7:48:19 pm

Whatever comes out of your camera is how it is recorded. You will get the step-up up in sampling, color space and raster, but if you're over exposed in camera, the KiPro will record that signal.

The compression from ProResHQ will be less than tape. You will get 'better' images right out of the box, but any gross errors aren't 'fixed' by recording to the Ki.

So, as long as you shoot correctly, you will get gorgeous images out of the KiPro, and be ready to edit virtually instantaneously.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gary Snyder
Re: Ki-Pro vs. HDcam
on Sep 14, 2010 at 12:59:12 am

We currently have 10 - Sony HDC-1500 chains and use the
KiPro - in addition to P2 and the Cinedeck for very high quality .

All work very well,..

send me an e-mail off-line, I'd like to hear more about your project.

Tnx... Gary Snyder
GaryS@clarkmedia.com

Gary C. Snyder
President / Engineer
Clark Media
610-694-9800
HD rentals in New York and Philadelphia
Panasonic, Sony and Arri Alexa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]