FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Ki Pro detect pulldown

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Makai
Does Ki Pro detect pulldown
on Aug 14, 2010 at 2:33:42 am

I'm considering using a Ki Pro with an HVX200, pulling the signal from the analog component outs. I want to film in 1080 24Pn. However, 1080/24p will be output with 2:3 pulldown into a 1080/60i signal, when using the component outs.

So my question is: will the Ki Pro automatically detect the pulldown and extract the 1080 24P and write that to ProRes? Or will I have to extract pulldown in Final Cut? If the latter, does anyone know if that can easily be done without any major hassles? Never done it myself yet.

Thanks for any input!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Does Ki Pro detect pulldown
on Aug 14, 2010 at 1:33:16 pm

Not over an analog connection, no.

[Adrian Makai] "Or will I have to extract pulldown in Final Cut? If the latter, does anyone know if that can easily be done without any major hassles? "

I would shoot regular 24p (not A) and capture to ProRes HQ on the KiPro and use Compressor to do a reverse telecine. In comressor this is a relatively easy/automatic process and can be done in batches.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
on Aug 14, 2010 at 4:49:14 pm

Thanks Jeremy.

What is the difference between 1080PA and 1080P as far as this application is concerned?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 16, 2010 at 6:02:21 pm

[Adrian Makai] "What is the difference between 1080PA and 1080P as far as this application is concerned?"

Different pulldown cadences. 24pA is more new. It introduced only one pulldown frame per five frames instead of two. 24p is regular 3:2 pulldown that has been standard since film on tv began. A typical reverse telecine involves removing 3:2 pulldown, not Advanced pulldown. 24pA is usually handled in metadata through digital connections, but over an analog connection, this information does not get 'passed though'. That's why I suggest using regular 24p as almost any modern application understands regular 3:2 pulldown, or simply just capture @ 29.97 (24p with pulldown) and edit on a 29.97 timeline.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Adrian Makai
on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:22:20 pm

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]