FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need To Quantify Benefits of Ki-Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Jensen
Need To Quantify Benefits of Ki-Pro
on Aug 12, 2010 at 8:54:37 pm

Hey everyone, I finally got to use a Ki-Pro for the first time on a recent shoot. It was absolutely an amazing product to work with. I currently normally use an XH-A1 and record via PPro using firewire. Edit in PPro and AE, deliver in flv (alpha channel needed). So I was able to use the component on the XH-A1 which made keying the easiest I've ever done in my life!!!

So, the question has been proposed to me on if my company wants to purchase a Ki-Pro, they need the benefits quantified. I'm normally not the one shooting so it leaves the picture quality up to the camera man which can vary. The shoot with the Ki-Pro unfortunately had the gain up too high so the footage is a tad on the grainy side, so if doing a side by side comparison some of our previous shoots, w/o the Ki-Pro, actually look better. But for me in post, the footage from the Ki-Pro was so easy to work with! Please help me create a benefits list and quantify those benefits as to justify the purchase.

Please ask any questions of information that I may have left out. Thanks everyone!

Drew Jensen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Need To Quantify Benefits of Ki-Pro
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:10:32 pm

I think you just started your list.

Quality.
Ease of use.
No capture.
Easy to post.
Easier to key.

Return to posts index

Drew Jensen
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:14:28 pm

Those are on my list, but it's hard to convey that to my superiors where as they are more so looking for an obvious "video" quality difference, more so than those that they may consider "non-essential". What I mean by that is, I may say, it makes my life a lot easier and some of the hassles we have will go way, but they think $$$. They would probably reply that while yes it would make it easier for you, is it really worth the 3-4G it costs us. But trust me, those are already on my list.

Drew Jensen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:15:46 pm

[Drew Jensen] "but they think $$$. "

And the speed and ease of which you can use the footage faster allows you to work less, or most likely work faster on more projects, allowing them to bill more $$$.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 12, 2010 at 10:12:01 pm

Hen you need to present to them in real terms how much time it saves you. Corporate manpower is on of the biggest expenses.

Look at it this way, all post becomes simpler because you are now handling footage from a single source no matter which camera is used, that means no more overnight renders with HDV footage.

Studio usage includes automatic tape digitizing with certain deck/ tape combinations- thereby allowing you to
setup the KiPro to digitize camera master tapes, with
timecode into ProRes ( over hdsdi-)

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Tom Grotting
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:59:46 pm

You might mention the up, down, and cross conversion that can happen on the fly. That along with no need to digitize or import footage. Both=money. And they can run it from an iphone. They'll like that.

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Tom Grotting
Digital Pictures
Minneapolis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]