FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro with PC

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rozon
Ki Pro with PC
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:54:14 pm

I have done a bit of research and all things point to the Ki Pro as my best solution. Wondering if anyone else is running a similar setup and might advise.

3 cams Panasonic HPX500 into Panasonic AV-HS400A switcher. We do a live switch to IMAG. Shows are approx 3 hours in length. I want to record these shows HDSDI out of switcher into Ki Pro for editing after the fact.

Edit will be done with CS4 Premier Pro on PC. I understand software is required for the PC to read the Mac formatted drive. MacDrive 8.

Seems like a very Mac freiendly environment. Is this also PC friendly? Is anyone running anything similar? Wondering if there are any hidden pitfalls in this workflow. Anything additional that I need to purchase to make this work.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki Pro with PC
on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:16:53 pm

As long as you record ProRes or ProRes HQ (not Lt or Proxy) you can download the free ProRes decoder from Apple for windows. This will present the ProRes files to your PC system. You won't be able to write back to ProRes, so whatever you need to output will be up to Premier.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_W...

And yes, MacDrive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Aug 7, 2010 at 1:49:31 pm

This is very encouraging.

Are you speaking in theory about the use of the prores codec with CS4 on PC or have you seen or used it first hand?

I will pose this question on the Premiere Pro forum as well.

Thanks for the info. This unit looks like a home run for me.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:18:36 pm

[Paul Rozon] "or have you seen or used it first hand? "

I'm a FCP user, but I have sent ProRes file to PC folks with no issues.

[Paul Rozon] "This unit looks like a home run for me."

It's very sweet.

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:26:25 pm

just read some stuff from PP archives and it looks like prores on PC is stabel. Sending an email to my boss today to go and buy it.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Mike Tomei
on Sep 30, 2010 at 2:55:26 pm

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to see if you had any luck with the Ki Pro/Premiere on a PC setup? I have a similar work flow and I'm considering the Ki Pro, so I wanted to ask if you ran into any problems?

Thanks.

Mike Tomei

Intel i7-930 2.8GHz
12 GB RAM
1 GB VRAM
Adobe Production Premium CS5

Return to posts index

Paul Rozon
on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:17:00 am

I have only recently purchased the unit and used it once on a three cam shoot (2hr program pro res HQ).

Installed macdrive and the most recent quicktime which contains the prores codec and all worked well.

Definetally appears to be geared toward a Mac/final cut environment but it worked for me short term. Proof will be long term.

Return to posts index

Mike Tomei
on Oct 1, 2010 at 5:28:23 pm

Thanks for the info. If you run into trouble down the line, could you keep us updated on via this post?

Thanks.

Mike Tomei

Intel i7-930 2.8GHz
12 GB RAM
1 GB VRAM
Adobe Production Premium CS5
http://www.miketomei.com

Return to posts index

Paul Toth
on Jun 23, 2011 at 10:52:37 pm

I would like to know any update to your workflow, etc. I am on PC using CS5.5 with an AJA LHi card in the box.

I recently used the KiPro to record a show and I could not read the resulting MOV file. Prior to deciding to use this box I did some tests with pro res, which worked flawlessly, however they were NOT from the KiPro, but just HD footage from a Mac. (I do have MacDrive BTW)

The recorded file on a Mac looks great so am wondering what settings, codec, etc. pointers you have so that I may try and use this workflow again.

thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]