FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro Power Loss and Clip destruction

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Wannop
KiPro Power Loss and Clip destruction
on Aug 4, 2010 at 12:04:24 am

I have my first field trip starting tomorrow - live conference capture of PC graphics and Powerpoint presentations.
I have been playing with the Ki Pro on the bench and apart from one unexplained 'lock-up' (press RECORD, button flashes then back to STOP) which required a cold boot to fix, I feel quietly confident.
As part of my testing I simulated a mains power-outage to see how much damage was done. Only the clip that was recording at the time was lost - fair enough. But it was frustrating to see all that data sitting there and be unable to resurrect the video file. JVC seem to have a fix for this situation... my HM-100 (SDHC based) is able to "repair" clips that haven't been closed properly (either by power failure or over-eager card swapping before the light has stopped flashing) So Mr AJA, is this something that you might consider looking into? I am thinking that a small battery and a diode might be a good idea as a poor-mans UPS in the meantime.

Charles.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
Re: KiPro Power Loss and Clip destruction
on Aug 4, 2010 at 1:40:30 am

I have a UPS power supply which I ALWAYS use when recording in the field with the KiPro.
Mike

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:48:51 am

So maybe something like this 12v UPS http://www.powerstream.com/DC-UPS-1212-5A.htm
might be the go....

c

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 4, 2010 at 3:21:07 am

Try here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/269/254

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:39:07 am

Thanks Jeremy, I had read that thread AND Ron's South Sudan field test. It's probably what prompted me to test under controlled conditions (with zero consequences). It just seems that a number of HM-100 users (me included) have had their bacon saved by the "repair" function built in to the JVC SDHC cameras. You just put the card back in, the camera warns that the clip needs repair and if you agree to the prompt - it fixes (finalises) the clip. I don't know how much 'damage' can be treated this way, but in my case where I changed chips in a hurry and didn't wait for the 'all-clear' light, it was a perfect fix.

Charles.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 4, 2010 at 1:50:10 pm

Hi Charles. P2 has a similar repair function. The mist you can lose from a p2 clip is two seconds. But MXF files are created differently than QuickTime files. It's kind of a long and complicated story that I don't understand fully, but essentially the file structure allows the file to be 'closed' every two seconds and if that process gets interrupted, the repair clip function can restore the last 'save point' if you will and will also rebuild any metadata used to control the files. I am sure the JVC works similarly. A ProRes QT is written differently on to differently formatted hard drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]