FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro Audio

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hansen
Ki Pro Audio
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:40:32 am

I'm trying to get a workflow question answered. I'm renting a Ki Pro in a few weeks, so I can't find the answer to this by testing myself.

If I'm running SDI into the Ki Pro it's bringing 8 channels of audio with it, correct? What if my sound mixer wants to bypass the camera's audio circuitry and feed his mix into the balanced XLRs of the Ki Pro? Will it overwrite two of those channels, or all 8? Any way to designate where to stripe the analog channels so we still have a reference audio track from the on-board camera audio?

My reasoning here is the presumption that the 24 bit A/D on the Ki Pro is going to sound better than the the 16bit audio coming from our camera, an HPX170. Camcorders aren't known for their pristine audio circuitry.

thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Ki Pro Audio
on Jun 25, 2010 at 12:55:17 pm

[David Hansen] "If I'm running SDI into the Ki Pro it's bringing 8 channels of audio with it, correct?"

nope, not yet.

first- the HPX 170 does not support 8 channels of audio.

Second -since kipro was designed as an onboard recorder, the unit does not currently support more than 2 channels of audio on capture. That function is to be added in the version 2.0 software that has been announced but not yet been released.

and if you choose to handle audio as analog - there are only 2 channels available.
Yes using analog audio in, your choice will over ride all other audio passing via HDSDI- there is no capability to assign or handle remapping of the audio channels.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

David Hansen
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:28:16 pm

Thanks Gary.

Yeah, sorry. I should have known the HPX170 was only four channels.

Interesting about the Ki Pro though. Their literature claims: "24-bit SDI embedded audio, 8 channel, 48kHz" Guess that's meant to be forward-looking?

Dave

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 25, 2010 at 2:35:41 pm

Yeah
Pretty much, the V2.0 software I demo'd at NAB had a good deal of the features most people are still scrambling for.
It should come with RS422, embedded audio, gang recording and playback.

Not sure when it is scheduled for release, but it should be sometime over the next month or 2.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Guthrie Andres
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:18:17 pm

In the Ki Pro config menus there is an option for where what input your audio is coming from. You can choose SDI Embedded or XLR among other things. There is no option for a little bit of each.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]