FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro Reel Numbers question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff cronenberg
KiPro Reel Numbers question
on Jun 19, 2010 at 9:22:54 pm

So I have all of these clips I have recorded on the KiPro, Everything looks great, sounds great, works great. But when I import the clips into FCP the Reel column does not match the drive name... for instance I set the Reel Number on the KiPro unit to be 114, and it comes in as reel 1 in FCP... not always 1, it isn't that consistent, the point is it isn't 114. The Drive itself shows as being 114 on the desktop, but when I import the files, the reel number doesn't match. Did I misunderstand something along the way? I thought Reel Number (and therefor Drive Number) on the KiPro would be the reel number on import to FCP.
Thanks for input...

(using firmware version 1.1.1 on the KiPros, 10.5.8 on the Mac Pro, FCP 7)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: KiPro Reel Numbers question
on Jun 21, 2010 at 12:08:45 pm

Hmm. I'd have to check that, but it's really easy to batch name a reel in FCP.

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on Jun 22, 2010 at 12:56:39 am

I realize I can change them after the fact in FCP, but I'm talking about hundreds of clips per shoot and the drive names were chosen according to a specific cataloging plan; it's just a drag if they aren't carried through because then the archived clips on our Nearline storage won't match the clips from the projects... I'm thinking it's best not to change the reel numbers in FCP in hopes that at least the reel numbers would be improperly read the same way in the future should we need to reimport...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 22, 2010 at 1:10:45 am

Yeah, you have to do it at the shoot. You could do it with the Ki drive attached to an fcp computer. That info gets written back to the file and can be done in a batch. Hundreds of clips will take a few seconds.  

Also, I'd contact AJA and let them know.

I won't be around my Ki for a while, but your formatted the drive with your reel numer, correct?

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:51:37 am

The reel number associated to the clip is based off of the selection made in the Ki Pro Media menu parameter, Reel Name 17.0. Typically, this matches the volume name since you are likely to have formatted the media with a particular reel value and then begun your recordings. Note that you can change the Reel Name to something other than the volume name and that subsequent clips would have this value instead of the volume's name. It's possible that this is what occurred in this particular case.

In any event, if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact AJA technical support via phone or email.

--
AJA Video Systems
+1 (530) 274-2048 Intl.
(800) 251-4224 US
sales@aja.com

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on Jun 22, 2010 at 1:11:04 pm

I don't think any reel numbers were changed after the drives were formatted, as these things were laid out very carefully, but on our first shoot, we were doing on-site firmware upgrades and other troubleshooting, so anything is possible. We shoot again this Saturday, so we should have some answers then (or at least some more questions, haha...) Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 22, 2010 at 1:45:11 pm

[jeff cronenberg] "I don't think any reel numbers were changed after the drives were formatted, as these things were laid out very carefully, but on our first shoot, we were doing on-site firmware upgrades and other troubleshooting, so anything is possible. "

sorry for this problem Jeff,

I am in Boston today and tomorrow if you are in town.
Ping me, I know what that issue is.

gary

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Technology Development
Quality Assurance Assistance

Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>