FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro, ARRIFLEX D21 and Stwo

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Desrial
KiPro, ARRIFLEX D21 and Stwo
on May 28, 2010 at 4:37:35 pm

Hi Every one,

We did already use Kipro along with ARRI Flex D21 and Stwo recorder for commercial, it works well.

For normal frame rate recording ( without slow mo) from Live video on D21, we can have the sync time code between clips from KiPro and Clips from Stwo. So post have high quality ProRess files for off line edit RIGHT AWAY. And we have no problem with it.

But when we need to have slow motion clips, as at this time KiPro does not support slow mo yet, we got problem in syncing the time code for slow motion clips. Our trick to get slwo mo : we play back the slow mo in Stwo and Kipro record the clips which is already in slow mo. Stwo send 1080p25 to Kipro and Kipro record it. This way we can not get the sycnc time code, but we get slow mo clips. It is not perfect, but it help at least. We don't get the best quality of Ki, but it is enough for Off line purpose.

Need your help how to get sycnc time code for slow mo material if we pair Ki with D21 and Stwo.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

Alex Desrial
MediaIntegra - Jakarta

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: KiPro, ARRIFLEX D21 and Stwo
on May 31, 2010 at 1:38:22 pm

[Alex Desrial] "Need your help how to get sycnc time code for slow mo material if we pair Ki with D21 and Stwo. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
"

Alex.
you will have to regen the timecode on all offspeed shots, this is just how it is done to maintain consistent timecode.

When working with a specific timebase ( 24 or 25 in your world) shooting at differing frame rates allow you to overcrank or undercrank your footage- and those slower or faster frame rates would have timecode based on original capture. So you shoot 50fps for 25p delivery- that means that every shot will run 2.X as long - and that makes the original timecode no longer valid- as the 25p time base of the original shot does not have the correct timing for a clip that is now 2X as long.

Make sense? -

FYI
the Stwo OB1 Recorder can playback the footage at the "converted" speed out to the KiPro- then use the KiPro to generate New TC on capture from the offspeed footage converted by the Stwo.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Alex Desrial
on May 31, 2010 at 2:47:44 pm

Thank You Gerry,

Yes, it make sense Gary, different frame frate will make them out of sync.

Gary, we use STwo DFR2K-AR, is the model i use can out put converted speed too ?

And what do you mean by "converted speed" actually ? Do you expect Stwo send 50 FPS time code when play back ? Please specify this ,Thank you.

I gues i need more info before I give it a try.

Alex Desrial
MediaIntegra - Jakarta

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 31, 2010 at 3:26:54 pm

[Alex Desrial] "we use STwo DFR2K-AR, is the model i use can out put converted speed too ? "

yes- the D21 and Alexa will both work this way with either of the Stwo recorders because you are capturing at a frame rate above 24 or 25 and the footage will be slowed down at playback from the Stwo base station via HDSDI.
Note that you need to set the recorder correctly to capture arri specific offspeed materials via Tlink.

"And what do you mean by "converted speed" actually "

Your "Converted speed" would be the NLE Frame rate the content is to be edited at
- it is the frame rate the offspeed content is being converted to for playback.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Alex Desrial
on May 31, 2010 at 5:01:07 pm

Hi Gary,

In the Kipro site, what specific setting i will have to configure , do i have to set Configuration Menu -> Record Type to VFR ?

And what is Incoming signal in Status Menu should be appear ?

Thank you Gary, i appreciate it.

Alex Desrial
MediaIntegra - Jakarta

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 1, 2010 at 2:38:29 pm

[Alex Desrial] "In the Kipro site, what specific setting i will have to configure , do i have to set Configuration Menu -> Record Type to VFR ? "

EH?

Alex I am not sure I understand-
the VFR capture is via Arri Tlink to the Stwo recorder and the resulting playback is all done in the Stwo Capture and Playback settings. Change nothing on the KiPro.

The footage would have had to be captured correctly via Dual Link into the Stwo system to start so that the recorder would be able to handle the slower fps converted output over HDSDI.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Alex Desrial
on Jun 4, 2010 at 4:42:17 pm

Hi Garry,

We the owner of the recorder has spoke to Stwo guy. He said the STwo DFR2K-AR can not do converted speed.

Alex Desrial
MediaIntegra - Jakarta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]