FORUMS: list search recent posts

EVS XT2+ and KiPro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
EVS XT2+ and KiPro
on May 23, 2010 at 9:26:05 pm

Pardon my ignorance. I feel like one of these guys asking why they should buy either an AJA or Blackmagic card.

Since the EVS XT2+ is promoting native ProRes422HQ recording capability (and the networks all accept ProRes422HQ) - why would someone buy an EVS XT2+ (even if it is for a production truck) when they could buy 4 or 6 AJA KiPro's, control them all from a computer, and accomplish the exact same job ?

And while I am asking stupid questions, why would a station buy a 360 Systems MAXX server, or an Abekas server, when you can accomplish the same thing with AJA KiPro (except for the fact that many of these other products work with Louth/Harris automation packages) ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: EVS XT2+ and KiPro
on May 23, 2010 at 10:11:46 pm

Good questions. Especially for record.

Playback is another story.

Literally sitting back stage right this very minute at a really dull corporate event, and everyone here is staring (and swearing) at thier GV Turbos as if they are antiques while my KiPro has literally stolen the attention of all the video crew, and even an audio guy.

For straight up acquisition, you can't beat it, but if you need record AND playback and replay while still recording, or NLE/editing access to just recorded (or still recording) media, then the EVS or whatever sever is what you need. And of course anything that involves multichannel video out needs.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 24, 2010 at 12:40:12 pm

but if you need record AND playback and replay while still recording, or NLE/editing access to just recorded (or still recording) media, then the EVS or whatever sever is what you need. And of course anything that involves multichannel video out needs.

REPLY - but if you have a simple network setup (nothing more than a switch), and control your KiPro's via a web browser, you have multi channel playback - AND record. So isn't having three Ki Pro's (under 12 grand) the same as having a 3 channel 360 System Maxx 500, or Doremi, or EVS ? (I fully understand that if you want to playout what you are currently recording, you can't do that on the KiPro).

Bob

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 24, 2010 at 3:56:55 pm

In theory, yes you do. But footage had to be lined up and synced on two or more KiPros. When I say multichannel, I mean simultaneous programs thatbpkay in sync to multiple screens/outputs. Also the footage isn't available instantly. You stop recording, wait for the Ki to close the file/build an index, which takes a little bit if the file is huge, eject the hard drive, walk it over to a playback machine of any sort and either edit right off the ki drive or copy to local storage, which again can take a while, then edit and get ready for playback. If playing back from Ki, then you need to load file on Ki walk the drive from NLE to Ki, load it, cue it and play.

While all of that is possible, it would be hard to accomplish over a commercial break. It really depends on how immediate you need to workflow to be.

Like I mentioned, though for straight up acquisition, the Ki rocks.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on May 26, 2010 at 2:25:07 am

EVS falls into the category of Broadcast "Heavy Iron". They are standard on most production trucks and replaced the ubiquitous GV Profile. Multiple EVS's can be networked together via SDTI, and each box can play each others media.

There are very few VTRs on trucks nowadays and KiPros are becoming very popular for "standard" VTR like recordings, but they can't match the "playout while recording" feature of an EVS. The only systems that can do this are Building 4 Media, Gallery, Softron and one other that doesn't come to mind. All of these rely on general purpose computers and an IT infrastructure. In the world of live mobile HD broadcasting things like "oh... I need to restart" or "my app just crashed" can't happen. EVS charges a heavy premium for it's "bullet proof" reliability and I believe it was the first, and maybe only, system that handles "super slomo" replay.

Standard deliverables from production trucks are now X-File exports (iso cam melt reels) and a single VTR tape "line cut". X-File is an EVS Windows app that serves as a portal to the EVS media. It rewraps it's native ProRes, DV100 or DNxHD recordings as .mov and .mxf and writes to NTFS hard drives. The significance of EVS's native support of these formats cannot be over emphasized. Their previous MPEG2 and PhotoJPEG mxf exports where a pain to decode... just watch out for viruses.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Jun 3, 2010 at 5:53:13 pm

I wish there was a way to combine the uses of the XFile, EVS, and KiPro. It would make my world a lot easier. I currently have to make movie files in After Effects or Final Cut Pro, copy them to my KiPro drive, hook up the KiPro in a Production Truck, and play the content via the KiPro and record it using an EVS, so it is instantly available at any moment on a live sports production. One thing I wish was that I could use my mxf XFile files (which are saved clips from an EVS to an XFile) on Final Cut Pro. And I wish I could make files on FCP or After Effects that could be saved in the format an XFile could read, and then send to an EVS. But the only way to do this is with the very expensive Flip Factory, which also seems to have a lot of issues at times when using those files in playlist mode on an EVS.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 3, 2010 at 7:42:38 pm

Unless I completely misunderstand you... your wish has come true!... and has been true for over 2 years.

If you re-read my post you'll see XFile can export ProRes QTs from EVS (XT2). This requires the entire EVS system to be switched over to ProRes. We get XFile exported ProRes, and DV100, QT files that play unaltered on a FCP timeline all the time. The same files are easily imported to an EVS as well.

The only thing stopping you from transferring these files directly to and from your KiPro drive is that XFile runs on a PC and can't use a Mac formated drive. If the PC has MacDrive installed... then you could.

Whether the truck wants to use ProRes is another matter... but it can.

XFile is an unfortunate name as it's software that runs on PC, not an actual file. Can't tell you how many times I've heard "Can we send you an XFile?"

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Charles Laflamme
on Oct 17, 2010 at 8:10:26 pm

If you ask the question, you haven't worked with an EVS network. There's nothing that can beat the speed and effectivness of the EVS. I first met the Kipro last week. We had so many problems with them that we recorded on the EVS for backup. For strait record I think it can do the job but in a live production, you need something you can rely on. And by the way, what's the idea of building a half rack unit if you can't put two side by side because of the power input position. With the KiPro, you get what you pay for. Same thing with the EVS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]