FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC doesn't let me access Ki Pro drive?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Pullen
PC doesn't let me access Ki Pro drive?
on May 17, 2010 at 1:56:59 pm

Hello all! So I plugged my Ki Pro hard drive into my PC for the first time this weekend to try and copy a file from my first project using the Ki Pro. The PC saw the hard drive in the hardware configuration, but it wouldn't appear as an actual hard drive in my computer that I could access. I tried changing the settings in the admin tools and had no luck. I then grabbed a MAC to PC file transfer demo program online and that allowed me to copy the file, but it took almost an ENTIRE DAY to copy one 150 GB file! I was surprised that I was able to open it in both Premiere and Vegas with no problems, it seemed intact, and caused no errors, but there must be a better way to do this?

I am using a PC with Windows 7 (64-Bit) I'm wondering if the 64 bit may be the issue? I also haven’t done the firmware update on the Ki Pro since it doesn't like my PC based network (Don't think that’s the problem though)

Anyone have any tips or software recommendations to make this file transfer go quicker? And please don't tell me to get a MAC, it's isn't happening!

Thanks,

Chuck Pullen

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: PC doesn't let me access Ki Pro drive?
on May 17, 2010 at 2:35:39 pm

[Chuck Pullen] "I am using a PC with Windows 7 (64-Bit) I'm wondering if the 64 bit may be the issue? I also haven’t done the firmware update on the Ki Pro since it doesn't like my PC based network (Don't think that’s the problem though) "

The KiPro is formatted as a MacOS drive module.

Are you running software that will allow you to see MacOS volumes on your PC like MacDrive?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on May 17, 2010 at 3:13:10 pm

Good morning Gary, thanks for your response.

It was my understanding that Vista/Windows 7 had the ability to access Mac formatted drives, I guess that isn't the case?

I did download a demo program from download.com (the name escapes me at the moment but it wasn't Mac Drive) and it allowed me to copy the file, but it took over 12 hours to transfer a 150GB file. Before I buy a program, I was hoping someone who has dealt with this would recommend something that would allow me to access the drive, but it wouldn't take so long to transfer files?

After looking it up, Mac Drive sounds like the program I should try next, thanks for the suggestion!

Return to posts index

Bernat Aragones
on May 20, 2010 at 4:36:05 am

connect your ki pro drive to a mac.
if you're using an external drive (NTFS), connect it to your pc.
connect both the mac and pc together with an Ethernet cable.
on pc, turn on sharing for your pc external drive.
if you need to, turn on win sharing on the mac (sys pref/sharing)
on the mac "connect to server" and "smb" your pc external drive.
you might need to enter your pc account username/password to gain access, and then be able to see the pc external drive in the mac's Finder. Open an additional finder window if you need to then copy all your footage from the ki pro drive to the external drive.

this is the quick cheap approach which doesn't require you to buy hfs+ software for your pc, and bypasses the need to translate between the two.

*** note: I haven't tried this with footage I needed to edit, but it worked really well on 320GB of itunes movies/music from my mac to my pc one time. I recommend you test this out on some quick test footage first to see if it works well for you before you trust it with your serious stuff. good luck!! ***

*** if anybody has ever tried this with footage, please feel free to share your thoughts ***

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on May 20, 2010 at 12:45:01 pm

Thanks for your input Bernat. I have considered that as an option, but I don't have easy access to a Mac, and since I plan on eventually using the Ki Pro for a weekly television show, I don't think going to see someone with a Mac every week to dump off the footage would work.

Return to posts index

Patrick Payne
on Jun 1, 2010 at 3:38:15 pm

Chuck,
MacDrive is going to be your best bet, and it is relatively inexpensive...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]