FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI input from MacBook

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Colemont
HDMI input from MacBook
on May 1, 2010 at 11:53:11 am

I'm trying to capture the DVI output through an HDMI cable from my Macbook Pro.
When I connect, the MacBook does see the AJA Ki Pro with 480i, 720p, 1080i settings 50/60Hz.
But when I set any of these, the AJA Ki Pro displays 'No Input'
I assume the MacBook outputs 'RGB' colorspace. Could this be related to the fact it sais No Input?
Has anyone of you successfully captured computer signals through HDMI? I don't find setting to select the colorspace either...
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: HDMI input from MacBook
on May 1, 2010 at 9:56:14 pm

[Marc Colemont] "Could this be related to the fact it sais No Input? "

Sorry, the Macbook is not outputting video that the Kipro will record.

What are you trying to do?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on May 1, 2010 at 11:02:15 pm

I use 4 AJA Ki Pro's for multi-camera recording.
For corporate shows, I want to feed also the HDMI (DVI) through one of them, so we can capture the Keynote/Powerpoints, and use the AJA as a convertor to use the HD-SDI out to the video mixer.
The same goes for on location shooting. I have a training video coming up were I need to capture the computer screen. I use not camtasia software screen recording, but it's a hassle converting properly and syncing in post.
One device I was hoping which could do it all. But the AJA Ki Pro does not want to read HDMI RGB, and the MacBook Pro does not has a setting to output YUV color space.
AJA support, in case you read this. This would be soooo cool. Colorspace conversion is not so hard to do inside an FPGA which I guess is inside the Ki Pro. Many thanks in advance if this would be possible. I would be first in line to beta test it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 2, 2010 at 12:41:55 am

Got it. It's not that easy unfortunately. KiPro can detect rgb vs yuv.

What you need is a can converter that will take the dvi and turn it in to baseband video so the KiPro understands that signal.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 2, 2010 at 2:49:59 am

Scan. I meant scan converter.....that can.

iPhone. Where the typo reigns supreme.

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on May 2, 2010 at 8:54:49 am

Then I will have to use a device like an MXO, but it's a pitty just because the colorspace isn't detected.
AJA team: any plans on this?

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on May 2, 2010 at 1:41:30 pm

Just use a Barco ImagePro HD and be done with it.

-mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 2, 2010 at 3:34:52 pm

Dude, it's not the color space. It's the DVI signal. Like i said before the ki will auto detect rgb vs yuv over hdmi.

You need a scan converter. This is not magic.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on May 2, 2010 at 3:04:57 pm

[Marc Colemont] " But the AJA Ki Pro does not want to read HDMI RGB, and the MacBook Pro does not has a setting to output YUV color space. "

that is not the issue.

Your computer does not output a standard Video signal and AJa devices only see SMPTE / EBU video signals.

Occasionally you can do this if you have a computer that can correctly output 1080 at 24/25/50/60 hrz (depending on where you live in the world).

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Jul 7, 2010 at 1:38:28 am

While I realize it may be a bit late now, I have been looking at the same setup for seminars here in Australia... found this

http://blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/

Any thoughts from the herd?
Charles.

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Jul 30, 2010 at 12:28:49 am

I have just bought a Hall Research scan converter/switcher to partner with my Ki Pro. I can now record PC or Mac screen video from VGA or HDMI/DVI (or even legacy VHS in CV or S-Video). PowerPoint slides look beautiful in 720p, and not too bad even in SD (if the presentation is bound for web distribution I think SD is good enough and a 250 gig storage module will happily swallow a whole day's presentations).

Happy Camper,

Charles.

Return to posts index

Kenneth WedMore Lund
on Feb 28, 2011 at 12:45:05 pm

I'm trying to do something similar and would really like some help :)

Normally, I have THIS chain:

Panasonic HVm151 => hdmi => Blackmagic Intensity Pro => Final Cut Pro

When I connect my MacBook Pro like this:

MacBook Pro minidisplayport => hdmi => Blackmagic Intensity Pro => Final Cut Pro

The Mac-screen shows up very short time i Log And Transfer in Final Cut Pro and then dissappears again.

Please help - I really need to record this asap and didn't expect it to be a problem.

:] Kenneth WedMore Lund
Living Smart TV

MacPro | Final Cut Pro 7 | Panasonic HMC-151 | ProTools HD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:29:07 pm

As has been mentioned, you need a scan converter to turn the video in to true base band video.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kenneth WedMore Lund
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:28:09 pm

Like http://www.lindy.co.uk/shop/showProductDetail.do?orderNumber=32596&source=s... ?

Living Smart TV

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:31:33 pm

Yes, something like that. Not sure if that one will work exclusively, but it looks like it might.

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:08:07 pm

That one looks like another clone (or maybe the original) of the Hall Research converter that I bought. They work just fine BUT remember that you will need an HDMI input on your monitor - or else you can't see the on-screen-menu to set up the conversion (guess how I know).

Charles.

Return to posts index

Kenneth WedMore Lund
on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:52:40 am

Aaawwww it didn't work :(

So what WILL work??

Right now I use Screenflow to record a screencast and recording is quick - but the inevitable export afterwards takes x25, so 2 minutes of screencast, takes med around an hour to export for Prores 422 editing in Final Cut Pro.

I really need to be able to feed the MacBook Pro screensignal directly intro my BlackMagic Intensity Pro-card using HDMI, because then it's ready to go once the recording is done. This is how I record from our tv-camera, so how can we do the same workflow when recording the MacBook Pro ?

Living Smart TV

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:01:34 am

When you say "Didn't work" ... which bit?
I am doing exactly what you describe (except that I take a vga split from the projector feed...
So what are you getting out of the converter? I found that using the 720p50 output from the SC and down-verting with the Ki Pro so I end up recording SD slides at a reasonable appearance/file size tradeoff.
I have played with recording 1080 or 720p but found it wasn't worth the pain.
I did have to play with the various SC output settings (remember the HDMI monitor?) to find something the KiPro was happy with (and I am in Australia so 25 or 50hz was necessary).

Charles.

Return to posts index

Kenneth WedMore Lund
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:12:49 am

Inserting the new Lindy box (http://www.lindy.co.uk/shop/showProductDetail.do?orderNumber=32596&source=search) into the chain.

If I use my Panasonic cam as source (via the Lindy box) , it goes straight into Final Cut Pro using Log and Transfer and my Intensiy Pro card from BlackMagic.

When connecting the MacBook Pro instead of the camera, the feed in Final Cut Pro just goes black.

The Lindy box is set to 1080i which is the same as Final Cut Pro is recording the Panasonic cam in also.

When you say, that you do exactly this, are you using the exact same chain of hardware? Like MacBook Pro => hdmi => Lindy box => BlackMagic Intensity Pro => Final Cut Pro ?

Living Smart TV

Return to posts index

Charles Wannop
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:45:29 am

Well maybe not "exactly" then...
I use PC/Mac vga or dvi/hdmi into scan converter (Hall research version of the Lindy) => KiPro and then I record it on the KiPro in either SD or 1080 ( I use a single audio track from the house PA to sync the slides and speaker).
After the conference I dump the sessions into Final Cut as a straight file load and the comp the slides with the speaker on a 720p time-line . My final outputs are mainly DVD or web based so the reduced res on the slides is acceptable when dealing with hour plus long presentations. Other wise a four day conference just produces too much data for my poor brain to handle.
Is your KiPro still saying "No Input"? What settings for the Macbook? If you plug monitor straight into back of Lindy - do you get a picture?

C

Return to posts index

Kenneth WedMore Lund
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:07:47 pm

I'm not using KiPro, if that comment was ment for me :)

But yes, connecting a HD display shows the MacPro just fine - problem only occurs when trying to record the HDMI signal in Final Cut Pro :)

Living Smart TV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]