FORUMS: list search recent posts

ki pro overview

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
ki pro overview
on Apr 24, 2010 at 6:24:16 pm

Hi all,

Want to check my understanding of the workflow after doing some searches.

We use HV30s and Sony Z7Us. FCP.

If we purchase the Ki Pro: We’d be recording at Apple ProRes 422, right? Or does it just capture/convert the HDV footage to Pro res in real time?

Can we plug our xlr mics directly into the ki pro and skip the compression that HDV normally applies to the audio? Does it all stay in sync?

What mount option do you recommend?
Any that would allow a Sound Devices 302 to be mounted under the camera along with the ki pro?
A mount for a cordless receiver or two would be nice too.

Do lighter weight tripods become top heavy with the ki pro attached? We use very lightweight but sturdy Matthews M25 Lightweight Professional Tripod System and Libec THM20s when using the HV30s.

Also, we have a library of SD DV and HDV tapes. We will be getting a Sony HDV deck. Can we use the Ki pro to copy the tapes over to pro res without using a computer? Then copy the pro res files to another hard drive for storage? Can the Ki-pro pass through doing the conversion to the other hard drive? Even if we need to use a Mac, same questions. When we copy them can we name the files and add other labels?

Can we daisy chain the removable hard drive from the ki pro to an external HD connected to the Mac by firewire or do you need a separate channel for each?

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: ki pro overview
on Apr 25, 2010 at 1:16:49 pm

[Craig Alan] "If we purchase the Ki Pro: We’d be recording at Apple ProRes 422, right? Or does it just capture/convert the HDV footage to Pro res in real time? "

The KiPro is a capture device that only records to Apple's ProRes 422 codec.
The unit does not do software transcodes at all- it ONLY captures a baseband video (HDSDI, HMDI, Component) signal.

"Can we plug our xlr mics directly into the ki pro and skip the compression that HDV normally applies to the audio? Does it all stay in sync?" Why would it be out of sync? Audio and Video are recorded simultaneously.

"Do lighter weight tripods become top heavy with the ki pro attached?"

Kind of a odd question -You ALWAYS need to use Tripods that are designed for the working load of the camera and all accessories.
the KiPro and Aja exo skeleton add about 11 pounds of weight, battery another 4lb not counting , rails, mounts, base plate and every thing else you need for your camera now.

IF your tripod is not heavy enough to easily hold that much weight I would not recommend using it the flex will show in your images.

"We will be getting a Sony HDV deck. Can we use the Ki pro to copy the tapes over to pro res without using a computer? "

YES
"an the Ki-pro pass through doing the conversion to the other hard drive?"

NO.

"Can we daisy chain the removable hard drive from the ki pro to an external HD connected to the Mac by firewire or do you need a separate channel for each? "

The drive modules only have on FW port.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:38:31 pm

Thanks Gary,

So we can plug the mikes directly into the kipro.
24-bit I gather.
Is the audio quality really good or is it worth adding a sound devices mixer to the chain for its quality preamp?

Not sure I get the difference between a transcode and a conversion. If the kipro can input HDV playback from a Sony HDV deck and record it as pro res, isn't that a transcode/conversion? I gather the difference is hardware vs. software conversion?

In any case, the Sony HDV deck HVRM15AU has S-Video Output, Component Output (rca x 3), Analog Audio Output, Composite Output (BNC x1). And firewire output which is labeled HDV/DV. What’s the best connection or would the AJA HD10AVA be in order?

>The drive modules only have on FW port.

I understand that, but can it be daisy chained to another firewire hard drive?

If removed from the kipro can the removable drive be bus powered?

Over 15 lbs? Wow!
The kipro is listed as 7.5 lbs
Bh photo sales rep told me the KI-EXO-R0 Exo-Skeleton weighs less than 2 lbs.
The canon HV30 is under 2 lbs with battery and accessories added.

So I thought I was within the limits of the Matthews M25 Tripod, which is rated at 15 lbs.

But my experience is that some loads are balanced well and some are not, thus straining these lighter weight video heads.

What battery do you recommend?
The batteries listed at BHphoto (Bescor) are all belt types with a 6’ 4pin xlr cord to the unit. I guess I could Velcro them to the tripod, but if put down by the feet should not increase the weight load. Do you recommend something else? I see they weigh as much as 4lbs.

If we do add the 4 lb battery with the Sony Z7u (5.3lbs plus battery and accessories) this takes us over the capacity of our Manfrotto 503HDV 351MVB2K, which is rated at 17.8 lbs.

Not in the market for a higher end tripod so I need to keep the battery weight down, mounted low or off the tripod.

Thanks

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 26, 2010 at 1:01:03 pm

[Craig Alan] "So we can plug the mikes directly into the kipro. 24-bit I gather. "

Yes and yes, thats why there is a phantom pwr switch- FCP wants 48K 24bit audio and thats all that is recorded.

"What’s the best connection "
Whats wrong with component?

"The drive modules only have one FW port"
there is only one port on the drive- no chaining.

[Craig Alan] "Over 15 lbs? Wow!
The kipro is listed as 7.5 lbs
Bh photo sales rep told me the KI-EXO-R0 Exo-Skeleton weighs less than 2 lbs.
The canon HV30 is under 2 lbs with battery and accessories added.
"

what about the Anton battery and mounting for it so you can pwr the kiPro what about a confidence monitor? 15 Lb is lite for a pro style rig.....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]