FORUMS: list search recent posts

Varicam confusion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jennie stenhouse
Varicam confusion
on Mar 21, 2010 at 3:52:17 pm

Hi everyone.

I went ahead and got a ki pro, its shiny and all but I am struggling to get it to do what i need it to.

I want to take the HD-SDI out from a HD1400 deck playing back varicam tapes which were recorded at variable rates from 60fps through to 5 fps.
some on the same tape.

Now my kipro firmware is the 1.1,
I am really not sure where i am going wrong.
Its fine with me if i can just get it in!
I can do time conformation onces its in :)

cheers

Jennie.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Varicam confusion
on Mar 22, 2010 at 2:10:25 pm

[jennie stenhouse] "I want to take the HD-SDI out from a HD1400 deck playing back varicam tapes which were recorded at variable rates from 60fps through to 5 fps... Now my kipro firmware is the 1.1, I am really not sure where i am going wrong. "

OK
think of the VFR setting on the current KiPro firmware as "VFR Lite" Currently the 1.1 software only allows for the Capture of SMPTE frame the produce what are known as "varicam flags"

SO while the setting on the KiPro SAY's that it will capture "VFR", the KiPro can only capture the standard frame rates of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30 and 50 without pulldown (59.94 and 60 have no pulldown when recorded as such)

I was told this was done to avoid confusion, but that would not be my view.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:09:15 am

Gary, I've never understood exactly what pulldown is, but are you saying the Ki pro can record say 720 50P out of the camera into the Ki Pro? I'm very intrested from a PAL 50hZ point of view.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 23, 2010 at 1:29:25 pm

[Peter Corbett] "are you saying the Ki pro can record say 720 50P out of the camera into the Ki Pro? I'm very intrested from a PAL 50hZ point of view"

By default the KiPro Records what ever signal that is sent by the camera or deck.

if you are capturing 720p50 the KiPro will record that signal.

Most varicams pad the frame rate to with extra frames {called pulldown} to achieve the SMPTE standard frame rate for your part of the world, if I shot 12 or 20FPS, the Varicam would add additional frames to the video stream to fill it out to have 50fps, its just that the KiPro cannot currently record those frame rates on the 50p standard, therefore the additional frames will need to be removed.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 23, 2010 at 5:44:18 pm

But it would allow you to capture 720p25. It's similar to shooting 25pN on tapeless P2 based cameras.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]