FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make Ki-Pro keep recording with loss of video.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gaylen Nebeker
How to make Ki-Pro keep recording with loss of video.
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:40:57 am

Does anyone know anything that can be used like a TBC for SDI that will trick the KI-Pro into still recording even if the video is missing? Sometimes in production someone pulls a cable or a battery and I really don't want the deck to stop recording. I have discussed this in detail with Jon Thorn and the machine was designed to stop so that if you are watching it you can't miss the fact that you just had a video problem. It then stops recording and attempts to close the file. Unfortunately I have to rely on this to record even though a camera operator may quickly change a battery or something. There must me something to get around this feature.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to make Ki-Pro keep recording with loss of video.
on Jan 30, 2010 at 6:41:37 pm

Can you explain your workflow a little bit more? Do you need to keep recording because of audio?

Return to posts index

Gaylen Nebeker
on Jan 31, 2010 at 12:30:03 am

i need to keep recording because when the video is plugged back in or if the camera is switched back on after a battery change we need to still be recording.

My workflow is varied. I do video assist for movies, television and commercials. Sometimes we have to send the recorder in a car to capture
whatever they are filming. Since there is no room in modern camera arm cars for the video op to ride we want to put it in record and let it go till they return. Unfortunately things happen. Cables get pulled batteries get changed, but if we cant play back the footage regardless of what happens then we can't use the Ki pro. Another situation is a live events. Say one camera needs a battery change, we don't always have crew to man the decks during the event. I have other HD recorders that will keep recording and either drop the bad frames or record black but they don't record Pro res or they are just too big. Any device that could trick the KiPro into thinking it has a signal when it does not would do. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 1, 2010 at 2:42:45 pm

You'd have to run video through a switcher or something to keep a constant signal. There are ways around this. You can set the Ki to arm on tc, as long as you aren't running free run tc, the ki will auto start and stop when it sees tc start and stop.

Also, you can have an iPhone or iPod touch that can act as a control device so that the cameraman can stop the Ki and then restaet the recording after a battery change.

Besides a firmware update from AJA, you would have to do one of these work arounds. Luckily, the Ki had a lot of functionality built in to it to design a workflow that makes sense to you.

If you need free run tc, you can still use the Ki to arm to tc and should restrrt recording once the battery is changed.

As far as cables being pulled, I don't think there's any magic that will restore a broken video connection unless you physically reconnect the cable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]