FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genlock & Output conversion question

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Colemont
Genlock & Output conversion question
on Jan 9, 2010 at 4:42:21 pm

I will decide in the next weeks if I'll buy 4 units. But I have some questions.
I have been reading this forum, but can't find answers on these ones:
There was an article describing the real-time features. But to be sure I want to ask here.

1. Does the unit real-time convert up/down to the output if in and out settings are been set differently. For example 1080i IN, 720P Out?
This would make it interesting for my LIVE mixer to have all inputs the same format if using multiple different camera's.

2. This leads me to my next question. Can I use the unit as a frame synchronizer when I use the signal is coming from a camera, DVD or BlueRay player which doesn't have Genlock?

3. What is the frame day between In/Out? As I want to use the outputs to go to a Live Mixer without a need of a HD-SDI buffer splitter for each camera.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
Re: Genlock & Output conversion question
on Jan 9, 2010 at 10:45:53 pm

KiPro has one in-converter and one out-converter.

It will record 1080i and simultaneously cross convert to 720p on output, which you can send to video mixer.
It works similarly to Kona or IoHD: for each output you can select either input format or crossconverted video.

KiPro will not work as a frame synchronizer. It does not have genlock input and will only synchronize to selected video source, or to component/RGB Y/G.

I'm not sure about delay between in and out. With a 1080i hdmi camera output, downconverted to SD and monitored on analog monitor, delay looks like no more than 2-3 frames to me.

Peter

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 11, 2010 at 2:33:56 pm

[Peter Gruden] " It does not have genlock input and will only synchronize to selected video source, or to component/RGB Y/G.
"

Sorry that is not correct.

The KiPro supports standard genlock function via the HDSDI input signal or via the Component Y connection, no there is not a separate GENLOCK connection, but you can genlock.

You were correct that the KiPro is not a frame synchronizer.

"I'm not sure about delay between in and out. With a 1080i hdmi camera output, downconverted to SD and monitored on analog monitor, delay looks like no more than 2-3 frames to me. "

Aja's conversions take 1 frame, thought the actual timing for that single frame conversion depends on the frame rate being converted. (more fps = faster timing)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Jan 11, 2010 at 2:55:15 pm

Hi Gary,

So when is the genlock used then? Only during Playback?
It would be ideal to supply Genlock to the component input while the HD-SDI is coming from a camera which have no Genlock. If the Outputs then could convert and lock to the Genlock source would be a killer.
Maybe...it's 'just' firmware. Is AJA reading this forum?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 12, 2010 at 7:47:26 pm

[Marc Colemont] "So when is the genlock used then? Only during Playback?"

No. What Gary is saying is that the KiPro will lock to the incoming video signal, via SDI from digital connections and over the luminance (Y) channel for analog component connections. That is the genlock. If you need to lock together two or more cameras, then you need to supply genlock to those cameras, then send that locked signal to multiple kiPros.

During playback, the Ki uses no genlock as it doesn't have it, and hopefully the receiving device can lock to the incoming signal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Jan 20, 2010 at 1:48:22 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "During playback, the Ki uses no genlock as it doesn't have it, and hopefully the receiving device can lock to the incoming signal."

Not correct.

6.1 GENLOCK
This parameter selects source of reference video used to genlock to during playback.
(Page 46 of KiPro manual)

Peter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2010 at 5:55:16 pm

[Peter Gruden] "
6.1 GENLOCK
This parameter selects source of reference video used to genlock to during playback.
(Page 46 of KiPro manual)"

OK, so you need to send the Ki either an SDI or Component signal that your receiving device is going to get in order to "genlock" it. My (and Gary's) point is that you can't send it a black generator and expect sync. It will sync to the incoming video signal only on playback (be it SDI/Analaog Component). Most of the time, you are going to leave the Ki in Freerun unless you have the environment where you incoming will be locked to the outgoing system (switchers etc).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Jan 20, 2010 at 1:34:34 pm

[gary adcock]
"Sorry that is not correct.

The KiPro supports standard genlock function via the HDSDI input signal or via the Component Y connection, no there is not a separate GENLOCK connection, but you can genlock."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Let's be more precise.

It is only possible to select genlock source during playback, but not during record.
As soon as Kipro goes into record mode, selected genlock is lost, and Kipro will use selected video source instead.

Peter

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 20, 2010 at 7:58:57 pm

[Peter Gruden] "It is only possible to select genlock source during playback, but not during record."

SInce Genlock is traditionally only used in LIVE Switched environs, what exactly are you trying to do?

If the cameras are in genlock then the recording devices would be also.

If you are trying to bastardize some sort of stereo acquisition or trying to do Dual Link, you are out of luck. ( been there tried that)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Jan 20, 2010 at 8:45:33 pm

[gary adcock] "SInce Genlock is traditionally only used in LIVE Switched environs, what exactly are you trying to do?"

Well, I'm not trying to do anything special, just to find out what KiPro can do.

If your point is that not having genlok input does not limit is practical use in live recording, I agree with that. If used in studio I'd prefer a separate genlock input for simplicity reasons.

Peter

Return to posts index

Marc Colemont
on Jan 10, 2010 at 8:03:57 am

What a great forum. Thanks for the fast response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]