FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to output Final Cut sequence to KiPro?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Kirby
How to output Final Cut sequence to KiPro?
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:40:11 am

Hey guys,

I just got my hands on a KiPro, and used it a little this past week. I did run into an issue though, and wanted to know if someone could point me in the right direction.

I edited a video in Final Cut Pro, and I output it as a movie file using the Quicktime Conversion. I chose Apple Pro Res, 720p, 59.94, etc and the audio option I left as default, which I believe is 16 bit, Linear PCM. When I tried to play the clip, the audio was a mess, and was very high and distorted. Does anyone know what are the best settings, or what is the best way to output a final cut movie onto my KiPro hard drive so I can play it through the KiPro? I typically output 720p 59.94 video.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: How to output Final Cut sequence to KiPro?
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:59:41 pm

What Is the format of your timeline?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:02:23 pm

Oh, and by the way, audio needs to be 24bit. I would not use Qt conversion for this, but rather compressor.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:21:02 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I'll give compressor a shot, and make sure the audio is 24 bit.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:20:36 pm

My sequence is Apple Pro Res 720p, 59.94

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:25:48 pm

[Jeff Kirby] "My sequence is Apple Pro Res 720p, 59.94"

OK, wait a minute.

All you need to do is File > Export > Quicktime Movie (not Quicktime Conversion) and you will be good.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:09:07 am

I always thought this was the best option, but when I do that, and I open the movie file on my desktop, it opens Final Cut in order to play the movie file. I always thought this was odd, as other movie files just used Quicktime. Oh well... I'll try exporting this way, and see if it works.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 16, 2009 at 1:31:37 pm

It is still just a QuickTime movie. If you need to open it somewhere else simply right click on the file and choose Open With... then choose an application.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:34:11 am

When I output final cut movies and After Effects movies, the audio is still messed up. I'm not sure what to do. Anyone know what setting the audio has to be in order to work? The audio is just a loud, static, jarbled mess.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 18, 2009 at 3:47:07 pm

[Jeff Kirby] "When I output final cut movies and After Effects movies, the audio is still messed up. "

3 things

1) you need to be on the current version of the software of the unit which I believe should still be at 1.0.1.17 as shown on your unit.

2) AE cannot create a ProRes file that the KiPro can see at this time.

3) your audio original audio HAS to be @ 24bit so that the unit can understand it to playback

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:05:01 pm

Gary,

Thanks for your help. Just to update, yesterday I tried to output my sequence as a Quicktime Movie. Once again the audio didn't work. Instead I used QuickTime conversion and made the audio 24-bit, and that fixed my issues.

Is there a way to change my settings in FCP so my audio will be 24-bit in my sequence and when I render, that way I don't have to do a Quicktime Conversion to output?

Also, Gary, I often make After Effects files that do not have audio. I have had complete success making a 720p 59.94 composition in AE, building a graphic, and then rendering said composition as Apple ProRes 422, then dragging the resulting movie file onto my KiPro drive, and the KiPro has had no issue outputting the file. I did notice there is no 24-bit audio option on AE, thus comps with audio cannot be rendered and immediately used on the KiPro.

Hope that helps (and makes sense).

Jeff Kirby

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:17:53 pm

Hit command-zero on your open timeline and change the audio to 24 bit there. If using AJA easy setups, your audio should be 24 bit anyway.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 19, 2009 at 3:26:04 pm

[Jeff Kirby] "Is there a way to change my settings in FCP so my audio will be 24-bit in my sequence and when I render, that way I don't have to do a Quicktime Conversion to output? "

then you would have to change the camera settings, since that is where most audio originates.

" I did notice there is no 24-bit audio option on AE, thus comps with audio cannot be rendered and immediately used on the KiPro. "

which is why I do not tell people not to try using AE content by copying onto the KiPro.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Bob Baker
on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:13:47 pm

Jeff, you also have to have the audio in Mono (which is really dual mono). AJA said they are going to change this to stereo in the future.

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:43:00 pm

OK, so you guys are great, but I just want to make it clear on setting for playback from a Pro Res 422 FCP movie.

We transferred the movie from the Mac to the Ki Pro drive, Pro Res 422, 1080P, 23.98.
Audio was dual mono, 24 bit, 48 KHz.

We get picture but the audio plays like it's reading a digital file, not audio. VU meters show a signal, headphones give the same audio as the XLR or HDMI audio.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 28, 2010 at 1:06:56 pm

[Scott Erlinder] "We transferred the movie from the Mac to the Ki Pro drive, Pro Res 422, 1080P, 23.98. Audio was dual mono, 24 bit, 48 KHz. "

OK
I do this all the time....

what device are you outputting to? is it capable of seeing 1920 x 1080 as a P-signal (instead of the standard PsF)

What is your content source- AE does not properly generate the audio as needed.

Have you tried recording the signal as it is played out from your NLE?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:50:55 pm

Gary,
Thanks for the quick reply! (I'm here in Chicago to).
Let me give you background info,
We're finishing a film in Final Cut 7, it came from Red files, cut in 2K, and some After Effects stuff inserted for wire removal, etc....

We output the movie to Apple Pro Res 422, 1080P, 23.98
Audio is 24bit, 48 Khz, dual mono as suggested in the forum.

We get great picture, but as posted, the only thing we hear in either HDMI or analog audio is the "digital chatter", not a real audio signal.

The Best
Scott

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
Re: How to output Final Cut sequence to KiPro? -Further info
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:54:57 pm

Sorry, forgot to tell you, we hear the audio digital chatter even in the headphones coming right off the Ki Pro.

The HDMI video/audio we've tried plugging in to our normal Samsung computer monitor, our Samsung HD projector and into our Denon amp/switcher that combo feeds video audio.

We have also tried analog versions of these hook ups.

The best,
Scott

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 28, 2010 at 10:07:54 pm

[Scott Erlinder] "Sorry, forgot to tell you, we hear the audio digital chatter even in the headphones coming right off the Ki Pro. "

that sounds like your audio is dolby or mixed as 5.1

only 2 channels of audio right now.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:22:55 pm

You said you made them dual mono. Did you actually go through and assign the tracks as 1 and 2?

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
Re: How to output Final Cut sequence to KiPro? UPDATE
on Apr 29, 2010 at 1:23:51 pm

Thanks Gary, but we know it's not 5.1 sound.

What we got from AJA, when we could talk ot an engineer, is that a number of units are having audio problems on playback. We're getting a new unit overnighted to us today and we'll see if this fixes the problems.

I'll post my findings ASAP.

Thanks to all!

Return to posts index

Stephen May
on Jul 10, 2010 at 4:15:13 pm

I'm in a show situation that is similar in terms of the workflow and the Ki Pro:

We are using the Ki Pro to capture HD via HDMI (long program) and then I turn a fast edit around by copying the captured clip (ProRes (LT) to my SAS RAID and then I edit the piece in FCP7. I keep the clip settings so the sequence becomes Pro Res (LT) and when the edit is finished I export the clip keeping the current settings, and then copy the clip back to the Ki Pro.

The audio from the captured clips is fine, and also plays perfectly in FCP7. The exported movie plays well on my Mac Pro, but in the Ki Pro, the audio is digital sounding noise that is spiking. I contacted VER (rental company we used to get the Ki Pro) and also AJA. Aja support confidentially said it is a matter of using Little Endian audio codec upon exporting and to use Quicktime Conversion. I made a test and this did not change anything, issue remained. VER mentioned checking the word length (24 bit). I knew the original capture was 24 bit audio, and I said "YES" when the prompt came to accept the clip's properties for my sequence in FCP7. I checked my sequence settings in the project and although the sequence adapted the ProRes (LT) settings of the clip, the audio in the sequence remained 16 bit. I changed the bit rate to 24 bit and exported the clip again, and the resulting file finally played perfect audio in the ballroom off of the Ki Pro.

Stephen May
Keystone Media Productions
Freelance Videographer

Return to posts index

cory borst
on Sep 27, 2011 at 2:55:16 pm

Did AJA resolve this or is 5.1 even possible?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]