FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki-Pro and Media Manager

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angela Cheng
Ki-Pro and Media Manager
on Nov 7, 2009 at 2:15:06 am

I'm trying to media manage sequences in Final Cut 7.

Mixed formats are:

- Pro Res quicktime files imported from the Ki Pro HDD storage module
- DV PAL quicktime files logged and captured the old fashioned way

The DV quicktimes are media managing fine - FCP is deleting unused media properly, while all the Ki media is trying to copy all 34GB of the original media instead of just the clip.

They all have reel numbers (I've gleaned from older posts that MM sometimes doesn't work well with disk based sources without reel numbers).

Any ideas???

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki-Pro and Media Manager
on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:07:45 pm

How exactly are you using the media manager? What process?

Return to posts index

Peter Schroeder
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:07:18 am

hi
igot the same problem here

shot on 1080i Prores and i wanted to covert to Prores Proxy PAL for offline work ( got many cameras for multicam) no chance , the file are only copied not recompressed or resized

exporting the file with same codec from a timeline and reimporting works , there is no noticeable difference in any Object info , but it works , and does not with the original

but thats to much for me to do i got about 40 hours

someone have a solution , ?
thanks
peter

Peter Schroeder
Director /Editor
Macpro 2x 3,2 Quadcore , os 10.6.2 FCP 7.01 8GB Blackmagic Decklink HD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:50:53 pm

[Peter Schroeder] "igot the same problem here "

I'm Sorry - what KiPro problem are you referring too?
I have connected 2 Kipro units together to get proxy versions from originals for awhile now without issue.

If you are talking about Media Manager issues what do those have to do with the KiPro?

To do a machine to machine proxy conversion- you need the 1.1 software to record PRpx content.

Set both units accept TC via SDI/ RP188 then set the other unit to the same.
Set both units to "ARM" via TC/ REC Key.
Set up the receiver/ recording unit to the correct naming convention and to record video as PRpx
Connect both units with a HDSDI cable.
Hit play on the main unit and the recorder unit will automatically trigger and record the incoming signal as ProRes Proxy with the correct TC as originally recorded.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:07:06 pm

With KiPro recorded material, you can't recompress or cut down the media within FCP using
the media manager.

Return to posts index

Angela Cheng
on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:28:15 pm

Hey Jeremy,

AJA is aware of this problem and is in the middle of updating firmware to address it. Basically, files are recorded onto the ki-pro drives affixed with uppercase .MOV instead of lowercase .mov and this confuses FCP.

Apparently.

But when I try to rename the files FCP still doesn't know how to treat the media when I attempt to media manage.

I've been able to work around this by doing it the old-fashioned, hand-stitched way:
1. Create subclips of the individual media you wish to manage
2. Export or batch export

It takes more time and effort of course but that's what I'm doing now in the interim, until the fix.

Good luck,

angela

Return to posts index

Peter Schroeder
on Mar 10, 2010 at 4:09:17 pm

[gary adcock] "If you are talking about Media Manager issues what do those have to do with the KiPro?
"

i am having the problem tha the Mediamanager does not convert files created by the KIpro
( recorded onto the kipro disk in prores , copied to the MAC , )
finalcut reads the files , editing works all fine .exept that the Mediamanager does not resize or recompress the files .
If i export the file from a timeline with the exact parameters , and reimport it ,Mediamanager works ! !therer is no visible difference in any parameter between th two files.
there must be something IN the file or header that confuses FC / Mediamanager

regards
peter

Peter Schroeder
Director /Editor
Macpro 2x 3,2 Quadcore , os 10.6.2 FCP 7.01 8GB Blackmagic Decklink HD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:32:37 pm

[Peter Schroeder] "here must be something IN the file or header that confuses FC / Mediamanager "

Peter if you read the rest of the thread it has to do with Apples internal code not understanding their own naming convention when the identifier (.mov) is in all caps as Jeremy stated.

Since Compressor and Episode do not seem to have this issue, just the Media Manager in FCP, it only takes a minor change in your workflow to have the files handled.

I chalk it up to one more reason not to ever use MM.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]