FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic SDX900 and Ki Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hayes
Panasonic SDX900 and Ki Pro
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:24:45 pm

I have an SDX900 with a very decent Canon J17ex4.5B wide SD broadcast lens. I am getting ready to shoot a documentary project with interviews and locations. My partner will be shooting on the Panasonic HDX900.

Is the Ki Pro the best solution for me (other than buying a new camera) if I want to mix my SDX900 footage with his SDX900 footage and if I want to shoot HD footage with an SD camera?

Will recording to ProRes be better than recording to DVCPRO 50 tape and capturing with an AJA board that uprezzes?

Also, am I correct in believing that I can shoot decent HD footage that meets the spec requirements for most channels (Discovery, PBS, National Geographic, etc.).

Mark Hayes

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Panasonic SDX900 and Ki Pro
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:33:45 am

The SDX900 is an SD camera. The KiPro will upconvert your SD output of the camera to HD, but it is not the same as shooting with an HD camera.

[Mark Hayes] "Will recording to ProRes be better than recording to DVCPRO 50 tape and capturing with an AJA board that uprezzes? "

The SDX is an awesome SD camera. We used to own one and loved it. Recording to ProRes will yield a bit cleaner images due the 10bit nature of ProRes. But remember, recording an upconverted image to the KiPro will be just that. No amount of upconverting will make an SD image look like an HD image.

[Mark Hayes] "Also, am I correct in believing that I can shoot decent HD footage that meets the spec requirements for most channels (Discovery, PBS, National Geographic, etc.)."

Not with an SDX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Hayes
on Oct 14, 2009 at 12:10:48 am

Thanks Jeremy,

Guess it's time to start saving for a 2700. I thought the Ki Pro might buy me a bit of time till we see what new cameras are coming.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2009 at 7:51:07 pm

[Mark Hayes] "Guess it's time to start saving for a 2700. I thought the Ki Pro might buy me a bit of time till we see what new cameras are coming. "

It's probably still worth checking out. The KiPro will work with any camera.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]