FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting the correct aspect ratio on SD recordings from SD input

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Moser
Getting the correct aspect ratio on SD recordings from SD input
on Sep 30, 2009 at 1:47:40 am

I recorded footage from a Sony Z-1 from the component output to the Ki Pro.
In testing, I found that the Ki Pro would sense whether I was sending it HD output or SD output and change the recording codec appropriately. However, I found that when I selected SD-wide record on the camera, the default aspect ratio of the resulting file was 4x3 squeezed (though monitoring to a 16x9 monitor through SDI on set showed the proper aspect ratio).
On playback to FCP it needed to be stretched (by distorting the original file in FCP) to -33 aspect ratio or defining the sequence as a 16x9 sequence and rendering.

Have I missed something in the original set up or is this what you get and any standard def DV signal defaults to 4x3 quicktime file. A search in the manual confuses me further.
Thanks in advance
Michael Moser

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Getting the correct aspect ratio on SD recordings from SD input
on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:21:36 am

It's either anamorphic or not. If you look at the raw footage and everyone has skinny oblong heads or circles aren't quite round then your footage is anamorphic. You have to check the anamorphic check box in FCP after you import. Then edit in an anamorphic timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:42:46 am

Right, so it's an issue to be dealt with in FCP, not the Ki Pro, correct?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:21:36 pm

[Michael Moser] "Right, so it's an issue to be dealt with in FCP, not the Ki Pro, correct? "

All SD material is recorded 4x3. Now, it can be recorded with different aspect ratios, meaning 4x3 D1, or 4x3 D1 Widescreen. TO the KiPro, it's just a matter of 4x3 video, and will record either. It's your camera that will set the aspect ratio you send to the KiPro. So, make sure you have it set the way you want (4x3 'squeezed' provides the most vertical resolution) and setup the KiPro to record SD (not sure if it flags the footage as anamorphic or not, I'll have to see). If it doesn't, then you simply flag it in FCP and edit on an anamorphic timeline.

Your other option is to record the 4x3 image as letter-boxed, but that eats up a good amount of vertical resolution. I'd keep it squeezed.

Hope all that makes sense, if not, post back.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:33:51 pm

Thanks.
This does make sense.
-Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]