FORUMS: list search recent posts

A couple of questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Gish
A couple of questions
on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:31:58 pm

I'm looking at the KiPro as a possible alternative to recording multicams to HDCam decks because of the price but I have a few questions:

1. Is there a rack mount kit for the KiPro? If not, I'm assuming that the bottom of the unit has a way to mount them to a rack shelf?

2. Is there any way to chain KiPros together so that I can use a controller to record or stop record on all 8 decks simultaneously?

3. Is the standard 7200 rpm drive capable of recording ProRes HQ (1080 24p) or do I need the SSD?

4. Can you use the firewire port on the back of the unit to record to an external drive (cheaper alternative to aja's drives)

Anyone else using these as a multicam solution? I think it could be pretty cool - we're going ProRes HQ anyway so why not acquire it that way? It would be awesome to be able to generate a ProRes Proxy file at the same time but that would be asking a lot from a $4k box...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: A couple of questions
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:05:56 pm

[Shaun Gish] "1. Is there a rack mount kit for the KiPro? If not, I'm assuming that the bottom of the unit has a way to mount them to a rack shelf? "

I am sure someone is working on this. I don't think there's one officially from AJA, just the camera mount.

[Shaun Gish] "2. Is there any way to chain KiPros together so that I can use a controller to record or stop record on all 8 decks simultaneously? "

There will be and it can be done in several different ways. Including start/stop on time code, and ethernet/wireless web based control panels.

[Shaun Gish] "3. Is the standard 7200 rpm drive capable of recording ProRes HQ (1080 24p) or do I need the SSD? "

Yes, it will do 1080psf23.98

[Shaun Gish] "4. Can you use the firewire port on the back of the unit to record to an external drive (cheaper alternative to aja's drives) "

No, but AJA drives are pretty cheap consider the cost of any other recording device, including tape. AJA QA's any drive that they send out.

[Shaun Gish] "Anyone else using these as a multicam solution?"

Planning on it, yes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:13:54 pm

[Shaun Gish] "1. Is there a rack mount kit for the KiPro? If not, I'm assuming that the bottom of the unit has a way to mount them to a rack shelf? "

There is not currently a rackmount kit- however there are 2 screw holes on the bottom to mount the unit on the EXO skeleton that can be used on a standard rack tray.

"2. Is there any way to chain KiPros together so that I can use a controller to record or stop record on all 8 decks simultaneously? "

No, since the 9 pin serial control is set for later release there is not a way to do this with multiple units simultaneously today, however SDI triggering via the TC/ ARM function option will be available in a future software update. So the act of triggering the camera will start and stop the unit at that time.

"3. Is the standard 7200 rpm drive capable of recording ProRes HQ (1080 24p) or do I need the SSD? "

The standard drive will record any format the unit can, thats what they were designed for. I have had no issues capturing to 1080 ProRes HQ at any supported frame rate.

"4. Can you use the firewire port on the back of the unit to record to an external drive (cheaper alternative to aja's drives) "

That is for a future version of the software- you will not be able to read the data via the units FW port at the same time the unit is recording.

" It would be awesome to be able to generate a ProRes Proxy file at the same time "
the KiPro does not currently support any formats other than the standard and HQ versions of ProRes.

"Anyone else using these as a multicam solution?"

I am one of a very few people that has more than a single unit, my testing with multicam so far is limited to the 3 units I have in my possession.

Life is good.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:23:05 pm

Thanks for all of the responses.

Unfortunately the SDI record trigger doesn't really help - I'm trying to minimize the possibility of a camera operator double punching/forgetting to punch.

I guess we'll just have to have our tape operator hit record on all of the units.

Does it take very long for a drive to be ejected and a new one to mount?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:28:36 pm

[Shaun Gish] "I guess we'll just have to have our tape operator hit record on all of the units. "

You can control one unit through the web interface/front panel buttons and string LTC to each unit. You hit record on one, then all the others will arm once they see the tc running on all the other units. It doesn't have to be SDI based, it can be plain old LTC. This will be in a future release, though. For now, you will have to start all units manually.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shaun Gish
on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:46:16 pm

Oh wow... that's kind of cool. Wonder what the delay will be like.

Sounds perfect though. Thanks for the update... Looks like a great solution for what I need.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 29, 2010 at 10:31:03 pm

Sounds great in theory firing them all of LTC - except when using TOD!

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]