FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XH-A1 component connection.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faisal Imam
Canon XH-A1 component connection.
on Aug 20, 2009 at 4:57:32 pm

Hello,

I have been tasked with compiling a list of gear required for green screen and interview style multi-cam shoots. The company already has a Canon XH-A1 so the practical thing would be to purchase the same camera. Editing would be in FCP.

Ki Pro is under consideration and I have a couple of questions (please forgive my ignorance as I am still learning):

- The component cables out of Canon have the RCA-type plugs whereas the Ki Pro component inputs appear to be of BNC type. Would we require a simple adapter for this? Any recommendations?

- During multi-cam shoots would it be better to have one Ki Pro assigned to each of the cameras or should we use a video switcher? So both cameras would feed into the switcher and then there would be an output from the switcher to just one Ki Pro (not even sure if this is possible since I have very little knowledge about switchers)?

Thank you for your help!
Faisal

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jeremy Garchow
Re: Canon XH-A1 component connection.
on Aug 20, 2009 at 6:30:02 pm

[Faisal Imam] "Would we require a simple adapter for this? Any recommendations? "

Yes, RCA to BNC. Any professional video store will have these and they will be about a buck a piece.

[Faisal Imam] "During multi-cam shoots would it be better to have one Ki Pro assigned to each of the cameras or should we use a video switcher?"

Totally up to you. You can either record the switch and use that as the edit (this means that if you need to go back and get another angle, it will be off of the tape backup), or you can record the ISO (isolation) of each camera allowing you to do a multicam edit later. I'd recommend recording the ISOs of each camera. You will at least cover your butt in case whoever is running the switcher (should you choose to use one) doesn't know what they are doing. With the ISOs, you do the multicam edit later, with the switch, you record the output of the switch and all the good and bad with that, but the multicam edit will be done as soon as the show is over.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Faisal Imam
on Aug 20, 2009 at 6:54:32 pm

Jeremy - thank you for the info, on both counts.

I did see those buck-a-piece RCA to BNC adapters but wasn't sure if those would work for component cables as well. Plus, was concerned about loss of quality but I assume that's not the case?

Since there is no post-shoot delivery rush, there is no point in adding another potential point of failure by using a switcher.

Really appreciate the help and I'm sure I will continue to seek the expertise at this forum as we move through the process.

Thanks,
Faisal

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Aug 21, 2009 at 10:29:25 pm

And if you can jam sync the time code on the the two KiPros it will make your editing life that much easier as you can select each clip and turn them into a multiclip based on timecode and then watch and do the edit pretty damn fast.

I do love that multiclip option. :-D

-mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]