FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro as ISO Record?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Anderson
Ki Pro as ISO Record?
on Aug 10, 2009 at 5:33:40 am

Is it crazy to install 5 Ki Pro's into a live switch situation as ISO Recorders? Client will then dump off ISO's to tape during the week and edit in FCP. This is a weekly recording situation. XD Cam 700 heads to Triax, to Switcher to ISO. Would it work? Is it going to save me bulk $$$ on record machines?

Return to posts index

Michael Craven
Re: Ki Pro as ISO Record?
on Aug 10, 2009 at 2:21:00 pm

It should work fine. That's what we're planning to do. Way cheaper than HD decks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 10, 2009 at 2:56:42 pm

Yes, that's a perfect use for it. It can grab tc over HDSDI if your sending device supports it, or it can grab LTC from whatever your recording device is provided it has an LTC port.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:49:06 pm

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:08:54 am

Not sure why you would want to dump back to tape though; it seems to me that it would be faster to copy the files to an external or internal RAID system connected to the host editing machine.

We plan on using them to basically eliminate "capture". Just plug the KiPro drives to the edit machine and go.

-mark

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:51:10 am

Playout to tape is for archival purposes. Still going to implement it the way you're suggesting but client always backs up separately to tape.

Return to posts index

jeff cronenberg
on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:15:24 pm

Looking into this same sort of set up; a line switch plus 4 ISOs. Is anyone using the browser control? can you simul roll the decks from the browser? I know the RS-422 isn't there just yet, but I wasn't sure if the decks were networked if the browser would allow for that. Also, does anything prevent you from using a FW800 hub and hooking up say 5 of the Ki drives at once to your FCP system? Hoping to avoid having to dump files from one set of drives to another, just work right off of the Ki drives.

Any thoughts about AES input?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 24, 2009 at 12:51:22 am

[jeff cronenberg] "Is anyone using the browser control?"

Sure. It works and makes the Ki very easy to navigate.

[jeff cronenberg] " can you simul roll the decks from the browser?"

The TC arm option is now available so if you aren't running free run tc, you can string ltc to each machine (signifying one as the master of sorts), set it to arm on tc over LTC. Once record starts on one, it will arm all the others. Make sense? I should add there's transport control from the browser. So yes, you could start one and roll all.

[jeff cronenberg] "Also, does anything prevent you from using a FW800 hub and hooking up say 5 of the Ki drives at once to your FCP system?"

They would be limited by bandwidth, otherwise they'd be available as firewire devices.

[jeff cronenberg] "Any thoughts about AES input?"

It would have to be embedded with an SDI video stream.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 24, 2009 at 2:02:47 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The TC arm option is now available so if you aren't running free run tc, you can string ltc to each machine (signifying one as the master of sorts), set it to arm on tc over LTC. Once record starts on one, it will arm all the others. "

The remote record function is currently only over HDSDI connections from cameras that support the SDIRP188 function with timecode as RP188 over HDSDI.This function requires that the incoming TC be set to the SDI RP188 setting in Menu 8.0 and not set to read LTC.

I have not been able to have one camera trigger remote recording across multiple KiPros for inline recording. The first KiPro inline records correctly the camera triggering, in my experience no other device inline will commence recording with the camera trigger.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]