FORUMS: list search recent posts

the expresscard 34 slot

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Mosaedi
the expresscard 34 slot
on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:05:58 pm

is there any documentation out there to indicate that Ki pro users will be forced to use sony's SxS cards? what about a workaround that includes some cheap SDHC card(s) enclosed in an expresscard 34 adapter? Obviously, the SDHC cards are substantially cheaper than sony's 32gig SxS card. I'm gonna take a a guess here in that SDHC does not hape the proper transfer speed to record HQ ProRes media to it. I like the idea of having a couple SxS cards in addition to a handful of detachable drives for the Ki Pro.

One idea to go along with that is to see if the Ki pro could simultaneously record low-res proxy files to the SxS card while recording ProRes to the hard disk. Then again, all that media management back n forth may not be worth the headache

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: the expresscard 34 slot
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:24:19 pm

Actually, SxS cards (as of last I heard) will not work in the KiPro due to a lack of a driver from Sony. AJA wants to support SxS cards but physically can not right now.

As far as an Express card adaptor to cheaper storage, that's not going to make it either as the internal connection to those devices is USB and not Express 34 even though there's an Express34 interface on the front of it. USB is not fast enough for ProRes. To be a true PCIe device, the whole container needs to be wired Express34 (aka PCIe). This means the card is a true SSD, and not an adaptor to an essential USB SDHC card. There was a card that was being shown at NAB that was $100 for 8GB. At that time it was the only real Express34 card working. I am sure that time and research have made available a few more cards. I will have to check my notes as to who made it. Still, the price isn't as cheap as SDHC media, but it's still a far cry from Sony's SxS.

Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2009 at 3:54:48 pm

Checked my notes and it was made by Delkin.

http://www.delkin.com/products/memorycards/solid-state-drive/solid-state-dr...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on Jul 11, 2009 at 7:40:07 pm

these should work as well?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 11, 2009 at 9:44:45 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "these should work as well? "

Don't know without testing everyone,It is common knowledge that the Delkin cards are the best and are designed to work with the unit, so that is what I have.

I will confirm that the Sony SxS cards do not work at this time.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 12, 2009 at 3:54:01 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "these should work as well? "

What Gary says.

Return to posts index

Kuhnen Brown
on Jul 14, 2009 at 7:57:48 pm

This is astounding news about the Sony SxS card being excluded from the Ki Pro dynamic. By blowing away my assumptions about Express 34 ports being SxS card friendly, should I assume the Belkin alternative will work with a MacBook Pro? If so, then so be it.
Kuhnen

Kuhnen Brown
InterMountain Digital
Oregon

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:43:58 pm

It's Delkin. And yes.

Just to clarify. AJA wants to support SxS cards, Sony does not provide a driver.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Jul 21, 2009 at 8:48:39 pm

Which I can't really blame Sony for since this device pretty much makes all of their tape based machines a colossal waste of money.

-mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]