FORUMS: list search recent posts

KiPro in TV truck

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Kirby
KiPro in TV truck
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:11:18 pm

I just started reading up on the KiPro. I currently own an AJA ioHD, but have had issues using it in my work environment. I work in a TV truck on live sports productions, and my main purpose for the ioHD is to record a melt (30 minutes of the best footage from the game), edit video packages for future games/productions, then output those edited packages in TV trucks.

The ioHD was great to start the year. The best thing about it was I never knew if we'd be in a 525, 720, or 1080 format truck, and the ioHD could convert on the fly to whatever I wanted.

Halfway through the year, I switched to the new MacBook Pro (November 2008 release), and now whenever I output, the video stutters.

Basically, I'm wonder whether the KiPro would be better for me, as now I could just record the melts on the KiPro, take the deck and drives with me on road trips, edit from the KiPro drives on FCP, output the finished projects to the drives, then play the projects using the KiPro out into the TV truck. (the footages gets recorded onto an EVS System, so it's not realtime playback to air)

Would this be the proper use of the KiPro? Will the KiPro convert 720p video to 1080i when outputting on the fly? I definitely need the flexibility of outputting in different formats, but not having to edit in different formats.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: KiPro in TV truck
on Jun 8, 2009 at 9:00:09 pm

Yes to all these Ki Pro questions.

I don't understand why your video stutters from your ioHD though. It shouldn't.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Jun 8, 2009 at 9:36:22 pm

I'm not sure why either. I primarily used it to edit hockey footage. When I output footage that wasn't altered in any way, just clipped and placed on the timeline, it would stutter or drop a frame at the fast moving parts, like where the camera pans with the puck being shot, or when two guys hit each other.

I was using a 2-year old MacBook Pro with 2 GB ram, 128 mb video card, etc, and it was working perfectly.

I upgraded to the new MacBook Pro with 4 GB ram, and 512 mb video card, and suddenly it started to stutter 9 times out of 10. I've used both a 2 TB G-Raid drive hooked up via firewire 800. It has a 7200 rpm HD.

I've also used a 1.5 TB OWC drive hooked up with FW800 and it's a 7200 rpm HD.

I even played some of the footage directly off the MacBook Pro hard drive to see if it was a FW problem with my external drives, and that did not help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 8, 2009 at 9:42:18 pm

[Jeff Kirby] "I've also used a 1.5 TB OWC drive hooked up with FW800 and it's a 7200 rpm HD. "

Is this with an Express Card fw800 adaptor? if not, you should use one to separate the ioHD and the FW drive.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Jun 9, 2009 at 5:56:10 am

Yes, I am using an expresscard.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 8, 2009 at 11:13:30 pm

[Jeff Kirby] "Halfway through the year, I switched to the new MacBook Pro (November 2008 release), and now whenever I output, the video stutters.
"

update the firmware in your unit- that stutter is a sign the firmware is not correct.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirby
on Jun 9, 2009 at 5:12:04 am

How do I reset my ioHD to the original purchased state, that way I can start over from scratch with the firmware updating process?

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 9, 2009 at 12:31:46 pm

[Jeff Kirby] "How do I reset my ioHD to the original purchased state, that way I can start over from scratch with the firmware updating process? "

there is a small hole between the HDMI ports that is essentially a computer safe boot switch- stick a paper clip in the hole and power up the unit- then power up your computer.

However- you can just reinstall the firmware without booting into safe mode, just re-install and reinstall the software and follow the instructions.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]