FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ki Pro & RED ONE

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Wolfe
Ki Pro & RED ONE
on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:31:27 pm

so I've been doing a lot DIT work lately. backing up the RED footage on set to 3 external drives via ShotPut Pro and my MacBook Pro no problem. the problem comes with the rushes. I try to make as many as possible during my downtime on set, and also overnight each night. I have an intel MacBook Pro (obviously) and a G5 at home. the G5 is worthless to my RED workflow so I can't let it chug away all day & night on the rushes since it's not intel. so here's my dilemma... buy an 8-core Mac Pro or the Ki Pro. I'm leaning toward the Ki Pro because it would be cheaper, I don't really need an 8-core, and the Ki Pro would be making my rushes on set. BUT, and it's a big but, is this feasible? I know the Ki Pro can match the RED timecode but can it match the RED filenames so that relinking to the 4K R3D files is simple?

any info would be greatly appreciated. and I guess I should ask, can the RED one even record 4K to it's drive and spit out 1080 23.98psf simultaneously?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Ki Pro & RED ONE
on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:31:25 pm

As far as I know, Red only outputs 720p59.94 out of the HDSDI. I am sure you can send tc to match, but it's going to 59.94 as opposed to the 23.98 (or whatever) you are shooting on RED. You can make viewable rushes, but I don't think they will matchback to the Red footage exactly.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Ki Pro & RED ONE
on Jun 4, 2009 at 9:39:18 pm

[Dan Wolfe] " know the Ki Pro can match the RED timecode but can it match the RED filenames so that relinking to the 4K R3D files is simple? "

the short answer for now is no.

as JG has pointed out the main issue would be 720p 60 video without any way to remove the redundant frames would make your TC / Re-linking untenable.

The other issue is the KiPro will not allow you to uniquely name clips.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]