FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPS data and the Ki Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chemix Ferreiro
GPS data and the Ki Pro
on May 26, 2009 at 9:07:55 pm

Hi all

I'm planning to include a GPS mark for every tripod location on my next project based on the Ki Pro.

I want to get the GPS info as metadata on the clip, say with an iPhone or GPS device while still on the field. Could something like this be somehow streamlined into the workflow?

Once at the studio, use FCServer to feed more metadata to the clips.

After editing and CC, transcoded clips (and metadata) are moved to a WEB server, feeding a site that shows landscapes, and camera location for each shot.

Is it possible to automate the GPS data part of the deal?

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: GPS data and the Ki Pro
on May 27, 2009 at 1:56:30 am

What camera are you using?

Quicktime is not a metadata champion, that's for sure. This will hardly be an automatic process. You can name the clips before you roll with the GPS data, but as far as I know, there would be no way to embed this data in the stream automatically from a cell phone, unless you can convert the GPS data to a tc/UMID track, even then, I am not sure if the Ki could do it.

Panasonic's MXF has location metadata, but you need a separate GPS device hooked to your camera to record it.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId...

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 27, 2009 at 7:46:15 am

Thanks Jeremy

I guess I was hoping to be able to automate through the WiFi connection to embed the GPS coordinates into each clip, along with it's name.

I'll be using Sony Z1's for now, being a pilot project.

I guess the only other way would then be: keep track of GPS location data and clip names on the field (using the MacBook Pro and a spreadsheet) and feed it later in the studio as metadata in Final Cut Server...?

Do you think this is possible?

What else can the WiFi connection offer besides control operations?

Thanks in advance

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2009 at 2:28:38 pm

[Chemix Ferreiro] "What else can the WiFi connection offer besides control operations?"

Well, it remains to be seen. You can name the clips via wifi, I jsut don't see how you'd be able to take GPS information from your iPhone and put that in the name.

It's a good idea though, if you need that sort of thing. LIke I said, if you know the coordinates, you can type in the coordinates manually everytime you move the camera.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 28, 2009 at 8:30:38 am

The idea was, originally, to be used with Focus Enhancements FS-5 recorder, which also handles metadata through a web server. You can pre-define custom metadata templates to suit your specific needs... but the unit records the HDV iLink signal already compressed, not comparable with the pure, untouched full raster ProRes stream that the Ki Pro offers.

Well, at this point I'm thinking a cut-paste operation from a GPS app. running on the iPhone (or portable) to the Ki Pro.

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 28, 2009 at 3:54:36 pm

What that seems to be is that you can access the FS5 via wifi and name the clips. You can do that with a Ki Pro as well, I am just not sure if you can automatically embed GPS coordinates from an iPhone. Get what I am saying? If you had a laptop with copy/pasteable GPS coordinates, a wireless access point and a KiPro, you can copy and past the GPS coordinates in to the name of the Quicktime file.

The Focus Enhancements solution stores metadata separately via XML.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chemix Ferreiro
on May 29, 2009 at 8:43:19 am

Thanks again Jeremy.
I will continue my quest for a streamlined way to serve GPS data into the workflow for this upcoming project. As far as I plan to use FCSvr for the project hub, maybe I can combine the XML metadata from the FS-5 and the ProRes video file from the Ki Pro (I'm wondering what the camara will look kile with the Ki Pro AND the FS-5 all hooked up...)

I'll keep you updated if I pull this through

Chemix Ferreiro
BUNKER studio
Canary Islands

bunkerstudio.es

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2009 at 4:18:44 pm

[Chemix Ferreiro] "maybe I can combine the XML metadata from the FS-5 and the ProRes video file from the Ki Pro (I'm wondering what the camara will look kile with the Ki Pro AND the FS-5 all hooked up...) "

In theory, but I would speculate that it's going to be a cluster f**k of work as the XML from the FS5 is going to want to relink to the media that is created on the FS5 which appears to be either HDV or dv (ewwww). So the clips on the Ki Pro would have to have the exact same naming convention as the FS5 and then you could probably do a replace at that point, but that is going to take some serious figuring out on how to keep the naming convention between the Ki and the FS5 in sync. I would say it's not going to be worth the trouble. It would be better/easier to take a still photo of each tripod location and use the Geo Tagging info from that (if you have a camera that geo tags) and copy and paste that into the FCP project in post.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]