FORUMS: list search recent posts

I don't get it

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Wolfe
I don't get it
on May 8, 2009 at 3:50:09 am

how can the Ki Pro not have pass thru capability from FCP for monitoring? can you not record out from FCP to the Ki Pro via FW800? the Ki Pro would be a great presentation device in addition to it's already great features. I don't want an ioHD/ioExpress AND a Ki Pro. it has FW800, how could it not work like the ioHD?!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: I don't get it
on May 8, 2009 at 4:47:14 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "how can the Ki Pro not have pass thru capability from FCP for monitoring"

As of right now, the Ki Pro is not an ioHD. The Ki Pro is an acquisition device designed to work on set with cameras, or anywhere acquisition is needed from baseband video connections. It records to ProRes for a very high quality and fast tapeless workflow.

[Dan Wolfe] "can you not record out from FCP to the Ki Pro via FW800?"

Not exactly. What you can do is export a ProRes movie out of FCP, put it on the Ki Pro 'drive cassette' (by fw800 on the drive cassette itself) and playback through the Ki Pro. This is now a portable playback device/VTR.

[Dan Wolfe] "it has FW800, how could it not work like the ioHD?!"

I touched on this earlier, but for now the Ki Pro is an acquisition device. As for now, the fw800 post is a host device so if you have the drive cassette that's full and two full Express34 cards, you can connect the Ki Pro via fw800 and transfer all three storage devices off at the same time.

I am sure AJA is going to be reading these boards and making notes. You can always feel free to contact AJA about feature requests. They are very nice people and are interested in what you have to say.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on May 8, 2009 at 5:49:55 pm

thanks for the info jeremy. I hadn't thought about exporting from FCP and copying the file to the Ki Pro. makes the Ki Pro probably the best compact playback device. is there a way to navigate multiple files on the Ki drive? or will they just play in sequential order based on filename?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 8, 2009 at 5:56:40 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "makes the Ki Pro probably the best compact playback device."

And at very high quality too.

[Dan Wolfe] "s there a way to navigate multiple files on the Ki drive? "

Yes. There's a built in wifi or wired LAN controller which will open a browser based control panel. This will give a list of options to control which file you play back. You can also navigate through the menus on the front of the Ki Pro to choose which file by file name. A GUI will be a bit better/easier. And yes, you can use any wifi device including a cell phone/iPhone that has a web browser.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dan Wolfe
on May 8, 2009 at 5:56:36 pm

wow. I'll bet a lot of Ki Pro's sell for this purpose alone. what playback format has a higher quality? only HDCAM SR methinks, and the whole HDCAM system sure isn't cheap & portable. imagine projecting from the Ki Pro using your iphone as a remote. couldn't be simpler. and 2 hours of 1080p24 would fit on the included 250GB Ki drive. amazing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 8, 2009 at 6:18:27 pm

[Dan Wolfe] "only HDCAM SR methinks"

As far as I know, this is true. I think dual link SR runs @ 880mb/sec while ProRes HQ is 220mb/sec.

[Dan Wolfe] "amazing. "

Indeed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]