FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Codec for Blu-Ray?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Willis
Best Codec for Blu-Ray?
on Jul 9, 2014 at 6:26:50 pm

Hi all.
We need to slash time in post, so I bought a Roland VR-50HD HDMI/SDI video mixer. The plan is to capture uncompressed HDMI into an AJA Kona LHi video capture card, and then to disk. Then I send the capture to my editor on a HDD, and he adds an intro, outro, lower thirds, bugs, music, etc., and then burns to Blu-Ray and DVD. (I can hypothetically add lower thirds and bugs during production, but I need to keep my focus on the presentation.)

My question is, the AJA Kona LHi gives me a choice of codec for capture:
8-bit YUV
10-bit YUV
8-bit RGBA
10-bit RGB
DV25
DV50
DVCProHD
HDV720p
HDV1080i
Prores422
ProRes422 (HQ)

The goal is a clean Blu-Ray, and perfect online streaming. Capture cannot exceed 4GBps, due to the 6GBps limit on SATA3. I am basically a content provider who wears a lot of other hats, but does anyone know which codec will likely provide the best fit for our desired goal (Blu-Ray)? And are any of these formats not supported in Sony Vegas Pro 11, Adobe CS6, or Magix?

Thank you,

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

Allan Klingler
Re: Best Codec for Blu-Ray?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 2:37:28 am

The post is not answered after a while, so I will give it my 2 cents. There is a lot of difference in those formats. some are DV with 480i, some with 720p, and other 1080. Most were never intended to be used on bluray in my opinion. To best pick a best one we need to know your goals an objectives and what you are willing to compromise on. Some are going to have great quality visually, but your length available on your disc will be reduced, and your editing hardware will choke on playback and storage getting it produced. Others, you can put lots of footage on the media, but you are lacking in quality to justify you not being on DVD as your media of choice. Personally, I like the look of 1080p/30FPS and its worth the trouble to put it onto Blu-ray disc. But as much as I like it, if my client is not paying me for the render time and processing costs, its going to be made easier on my part to get it out fast. If I want it future proofed for later use, I at the very least keep my higher res stuff in my library archive. For the question, to me, if you are going to go to the extra work for using bluray instead of DVD, go big. It makes your stuff look great and that is what clients pay for.

---------
Professional videography since 1996
http://www.tetonvideo.com

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
Re: Best Codec for Blu-Ray?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 3:37:44 am

Hi Allan. Thanks. It seems my volunteer editor wants DVCProHD-1080i-60, so that is what I hope to use :-)

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]