FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona SD to HD Upconversion Post AJA Kona SD Capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Freets
AJA Kona SD to HD Upconversion Post AJA Kona SD Capture
on Dec 15, 2013 at 10:47:37 pm

From a SD source (such as VHS tape) in the past years, I've captured a lot of SD videos with my AJA Kona LHe card to uncompressed 10BIT YUV.

It would seem that the AJA Kona LHi and others can upconvert SD to HD as they say 'in hardware'. I suppose that means a straight capture as such:

SD Source (say VHS) -> AJA Kona LHi -> Upconvert SD to HD -> save to HD file.

However, I 'already' have a lot of SD content stored as uncompressed 720x486. So can I still upconvert my currently saved Uncompressed SD to HD? In other words:

SD 720x486 uncompressed (originally captued from AJA Kona LHe) -> AJA Kona LHi -> Upconvert SD to HD -> save to HD file?

What would be the difference? Or is there a big loss...as if I would have to go back and re-capture straight from the original SD source and upconvert 'in hardware'?

I'm concerned about the loss of quality and wondering what the tradeoffs in quality of a conversion would be good?

Or would:

SD 720x486 uncompressed -> AJA Kona LHi -> Upconvert SD to HD -> save to HD file

be just as good as if I did:

Original SD source (say VHS) -> AJA Kona LHi -> Upconvert SD to HD -> save to HD file

Tradeoffs? Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jason Freets
Re: AJA Kona SD to HD Upconversion Post AJA Kona SD Capture
on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:30:50 am

And the crickets rejoice!!!

*cricket*

*cricket*

*cricket* *cricket*

*cricket*
*cricket*

*cricket* *cricket*

=-D

Return to posts index

Shawn Hughes
Re: AJA Kona SD to HD Upconversion Post AJA Kona SD Capture
on Feb 12, 2014 at 11:27:52 pm

That's a GREAT question. I expect to run into this as soon as I can get one of the Aja boards I have to actually work.

Subscribing for the answer!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]