FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona Video Subtype Confusion (10 bit YUV vs 10 bit RGB)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Freets
AJA Kona Video Subtype Confusion (10 bit YUV vs 10 bit RGB)
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:24:35 am

So the AJA Kona has the following capture video subtypes for a 720x480 @ 29.97i format:

10-bit YUV 4:2:2 - v210
10-bit RGB 4:4:4 - Log
10-bit RGB 4:4:4 - Full A
10-bit RGB 4:4:4 - Full B

Questions:

I've not been able to find any good information describing the different video subtypes. I have tried searching all over the internet. So I have a few questions:

#1) When would someone choose YUV over RGB? YUV uses compression (4:2:2 vs 4:4:4), so why would I not instead choose to use 10-bit RGB 4:4:4?

#2) What's the difference between the "Log", "Full A", "Full B" for the RGB video subtypes?

#3) For VHS tapes which would you choose for the HIGHEST quality storage and permanent archiving? My guess is "10-bit YUV 4:2:2 - v210" since YUV would possibly better resemble the encoding format of VHS? Or, why not use "10-bit RGB 4:4:4 - Log" instead?

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: AJA Kona Video Subtype Confusion (10 bit YUV vs 10 bit RGB)
on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:46:00 am

"YUV"...or really "Y'CbCr" is the structure of all video types save just a few special cases, usually at the D-Cinema level.

VHS material is already pretty hashed...I would at least make sure I was capturing from a pro SVHS deck with a timebase corrector and a noise reduction filter to at least present the cleanest signal to the compression process.

VHS doesn't have enough level to justify using log...you'll just create archive video that will have to be used with a look up table to get the grayscale to look right.

v210 is already pretty beefy...you'll be making huge files with that, and there will be more than enough juice to store everything that you have preserved on a VHS tape. really, even an 8 bit codec should be just fine as the color fidelity of VHS is pretty low...though I understand you want to archive the best possible product. You may want to test some of this but I think that there is just no way you'd ever need RGB for this purpose.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Adobe Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]