FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe - what is best capture settings on PC for file destined for edit on a Mac

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Romein
Kona LHe - what is best capture settings on PC for file destined for edit on a Mac
on Dec 10, 2012 at 12:29:09 am

I'm capturing BetacamSP and U-matic tapes on a PC that are destined for a Mac. The Betacam files should be in 10bit and the U-matic can be in 8bit and they've requested mov extensions. I've found some mov files capture and play back great on the PC and only audio on the Mac.

What Machina settings should I use to get the best possible capture files for a Mac user?

Return to posts index

John Romein
Re: Kona LHe - what is best capture settings on PC for file destined for edit on a Mac
on Feb 10, 2013 at 1:36:23 am

Here's what I found with trial and error....

I use Sony Vegas Pro 12 and that it only captures video...the audio is missing no matter which codec and wrapper I use. I logged a report with Sony and they basically told me that it is a bug that will be fix in some future build.

Machina is the only way I found to capture the footage. Several codec's work for the PC environment, however only one seems to work if you are subsequently moving the file from a PC to a Mac environment.

Here's the codecs that work for:
PC environment: 2Vuy, 2vuy, 8bit RBG apple, 8bit RBGA 444, 10bit RGB full B, 10bit RGB log, 10bit RGB smpte A or B, V210, v210
Mac environment: 2vuy

Its too bad that only one codec works for both environments.

I know there are lots of people out there with more knowledge on this topic than I. Please let me know if there is a better way to capture files from Betacam SP or U-matic through the PC installed LHe card.

Return to posts index

James Brooks
Re: Kona LHe - what is best capture settings on PC for file destined for edit on a Mac
on Jun 13, 2013 at 2:58:37 am

You could use MediaNXS. It supports capturing video and multi channel audio on Windows. To target Mac OS-X, you should use MOV with either a yuv2 (8 bit YCbCr), DVHD or v210 (10 bit YCbCr) codecs. If you also install the optional ffmpeg installer you can capture ProRes as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]