FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upconverting SD to HD during Capture in CS5

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Hampton
Upconverting SD to HD during Capture in CS5
on Mar 26, 2012 at 11:14:29 pm

Hi all

I'm very used to downconverting HD to SD with my card for already captured video. However my problem now is how can I convert SD to HD while capturing? This needs to incorporated into an existing HD project.

I've tried but when I set the secondary output to HD then I get no video coming into Premiere. I only seem to be able to capture SD from SD source.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
Re: Upconverting SD to HD during Capture in CS5
on Apr 1, 2012 at 4:06:15 am

Have you tried a capture even though you don't see video in Premiere. I think it might still work, you just are "blind" in Premiere.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Apr 1, 2012 at 11:38:16 pm

Jeff

Thanks. I've tried everything I can think of, both on my PC and Mac (I have two cards). On the Mac the control panel is easier to read and I see it downconverts and accepts all my other settings except upconvert. I'm really at a loss so any other ideas you have would be welcome.

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:18:58 pm

I'm at a loss: I have not had to capture since I was doing SD: I use my Kona for editing and output monitoring. Sounds like it's time to call AJA, or drop them an email. Their tech support has always been good to me.

-jeff

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:45:46 pm

Jeff

I just found out that the LHe doesn't upconvert. I need to get LHe plus, LHi or 3g for that. I do a lot of film restoration and archival work and still get a fair share of SD digibeta coming in but this project is combo of HD and SD.

So all your work comes on cards or hard drives now, no tape at all, even HDCAM?

Bret

Return to posts index

Jeff Brown
on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:08:34 pm

Hi Bret--
I do animation work, so for the occassions I'm incorporating (someone else's) video, I get it on a drive or more frequently, just download it. I'm usually dealing with clips of less than 1 minute.

-Jeff

Return to posts index

Paul Toth
on Apr 21, 2012 at 3:22:32 pm

I have the LHi and for the life of me, I cannot get it to upconvert or downconvert in CS5.5. The best I can get is a pink garbled screen. I've tried so many different combinations but no go. So having to go the software route which is nowhere near as good.

I've sent several requests to AJA tech support but have had zero response, even though their support page says they take "support seriously". I am on serious deadlines and get no help from AJA? What kind of company are they? So my end product suffers therefore my customers product suffers and am I to blame? I guess so for buying this hunk of junk. And clearly their support is still hung over in Vegas...

So if anyone can advise me I'll listen, but am seriously considering selling this and moving on to Black Magic?

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Apr 21, 2012 at 4:08:20 pm

Paul

Have you tried calling Aja? They've always answered the phone when I call. Also if you direct an email to support but put "Attention: Keith" in your subject line, it will get directed to that person.

I found out that my LHe card doesn't do upconversions; my fault for not reading the specs properly. It does downconvert though. Your card should do both. My suspicion is you maybe aren't matching your settings to your monitor or editing preset. A pink garbled screen means you're getting digital video but your settings don't match.

So for example say you're working 1080p/24 frame Aja preset in PP. Fine, now go to Sequence settings, then click Playback settings and you'll see the Aja menu appear. Then in Primary format make sure it says 1080p/24. Then for Secondary (Converted Format) if you're upconverting from NTSC 29.97 you would select that.

The click save, close and bring up your capture window. In Capture, check the settings and make sure they're the same. If all the settings are correct you should be able to see the video in the capture window. I get a garbled image on my monitor, but I'm not sure if it's because it's standard def. When I playback my captured video everything's fine.

BTW, I just came back from NAB and the Aja rep there told me in CS6 you won't have to hassle with all these settings. He showed me your card using CS6 and it's automatic.

If you still can't get this working, feel free to email me and we could go over this together. I know it's frustrating. I miss my old linear editing room where you threw a tape into a machine and just went to work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]