FORUMS: list search recent posts

new CS5 drivers with poor performance?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Roeder
new CS5 drivers with poor performance?
on May 31, 2010 at 9:46:14 am

Hi,

we were just setting up Premiere Pro CS5 under a fully new setup Win7 64bit; trying out XDcam EX footage with the Mercury Engine and it really works fine with native Premiere sequences (can play up to 7 layers XDcam EX 35mbit footage).

So we set up the new Kona drivers version 5.0, creating a sequence, pulling in our set with these 7 layers HD - and it did NOT work at all. We reduced layer by layer and realized that we just can playout a simple dissolve between two HD clips. Even when adding a third layer we get some strange block effects during dissolve and playback stops due to dropped frames...

And that's it? Or did we do anything wrong - has anyone the same problems?

Regards
Sebastian
-----------------------------
PPro 5.0.1 - Win7 64 - Tyan Tempest i5400XT (S5396) - 8 GB RAM - Geforce GTX 470

Return to posts index

AJA Sales Department
Re: new CS5 drivers with poor performance?
on Jun 1, 2010 at 10:21:43 pm

Hi Sebastian,

The performance you're seeing is correct.

The performance you see with Adobe Premiere Pro when no 3rd party hardware is installed is enhanced by the fact that no full resolution, high bit depth video needs to be delivered to a professional device. To realize that performance many different shortcuts can be used in the playback engine processing things at lower resolutions, bit depths, or colorspaces in order to achive higher performance.

When professional quality hardware is involved however, these shortcuts cant be taken when users expect pristine quality for output to their professional devices. The sacrifice is some of the performance. What you get in return is outstanding broadcast quality.

Return to posts index

Dennis Rafn
on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:30:30 am

So all the benefit from Mercury Playback is lost when you want to see the output on SDI Grade monitor ?

Maybe its more easy to connect a HDMI/SDI converter directly to your Nvidia Mercury playback graphics card.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Roeder
on Jun 2, 2010 at 10:39:49 am

But what's the advance of using Kona and together with the fast Mercury Engine of CS5 when it's not even possible to playback at least 3 layers of video through the cards output? With this the whole performance of the Mercury Engine is lost.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jun 5, 2010 at 6:10:53 am

I don't know if the benefits of the Mercury engine are 'lost'...

I've been giving Adobe some feedback on some of these demos they are doing...I wish they'd spend a little more time on all the factors that are contributing to the performance you get from Mercury involving everything from the user-controllable resolution drop to leaning on the GPU...to hard drive and CPU speed for that matter.

When you are decoding video on the CPU and sending it to the GPU to preview effects, the video that's been processed is sitting right at the DVI output, and out it goes.

If you need to bring that video back into the machine to route to a Kona HDSDI port, that's a different process. When the preview is happening on the GPUs, I would guess you're really working with what we would characterize as "uncompressed" footage. Sending it out the DVI port is easy...moving it back through the machine can't help but use resources.

I'm curious what the media settings and the sequence settings were...

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Sebastian Roeder
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:17:45 am

>> I'm curious what the media settings and the sequence settings were...

The media is XDcam EX footage at 35 Mbit/s and 1080i50 resolution. We created an "AJA" sequence 1080i50 pulling this XDcam footage into timeline. The Premiere player settings were set to "AJA/Kona".

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jun 12, 2010 at 4:03:08 pm

Was it a compressed sequence, or uncompressed?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Sebastian Roeder
on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:09:54 am

We tried both, compressed and uncompressed sequences...

Regards
Sebastian
-----------------------------
PPro 5.0.1 - Win7 Pro 64bit - Tyan Tempest i5400XT (S5396) - 8 GB RAM - Geforce GTX 470

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]