FORUMS: list search recent posts

Xena LHe horrible performance under drivers V.4.2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Chechelnitskiy
Xena LHe horrible performance under drivers V.4.2
on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:37:16 pm

Hi, guys!
11 days ago I bought a beautiful new Xena LHe. The card works great with AE CS4, Nuke 5.2 x64, Fusion 6 x64. Not with Premiere 4.2. After creating an AJA sequence the app becomes almost unresponsive and extremely laggish. The playback window shows weird artifacting. AJA's tech support wasn't helpful at all. Basically, I was told smtn like: "Well, we don't know, keep trying and let us know what you find..."
After 10 days of struggling I've decided to try drivers v.4.1.4. And guess what? The system is lightning fast - the way it should be.
I own a custom built: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Intel 975XBX2, Q6600, 8GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 4800, Adaptec 5805 RAID (latest drivers, blah-blah), Adobe CS4 Master Collection (all updates installed). Already tried clean install on Vista x64 and XP professional: same problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alex.

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
Re: Xena LHe horrible performance under drivers V.4.2
on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:33:13 pm

I get the same thing with my Xena 2Ke.

I was told they've re-done the playback section of their drivers. They've tried to simplify it. You'll notice there are a lot less playback options under 4.2 than 4.1.4.

I had major stability problems with 4.1.4 so I'm sticking with 4.2, but I have written to them about the sluggish performance and reaction times.

Hopefully they will fix it soon.

As for the "weird artifacting" you mentioned. I haven't seen that. Could be another issue there.

Return to posts index

Alexander Chechelnitskiy
on Dec 22, 2009 at 10:35:42 pm

"I have written to them about the sluggish performance and reaction times."

Funny. This is what I got from AJA:

"We're a bit baffled by this. Not sure why your premier is so sluggish. This is not a known issue."

Return to posts index

Chris Knight
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:57:52 pm

I've been running my LHe for 2 years now, with a few issues here and there, under XP 32 bit/CS3.

I just upgraded the system (Dell Precision 690) to Windows 7, with CS4.2. The AJA 4.2 drivers work in theory, but I have two major problems.
1. Sluggish playback performance in After Effects and Premiere.
2. A complete inability to access AJA Playback settings in the Premiere "New Sequence" window. This means I can't switch the default analog output from composite (which I don't want) to component (which I need). I can access these settings in Machina, and only in Premiere after I've created a project (which is not a good workaround, because clips won't play properly until they've been dropped into the timeline).
Unfortunately, not being able to create a preset where the default analog output is 486i via component makes the 4.2 drivers useless.

Uninstalling the 4.2 drivers, and dropping down to 4.1 fixes this issue. So far these drivers perform perfectly (knock on wood) in Windows 7.

An email to AJA yesterday went unanswered. This is a shame, considering I used to get phone calls from AJA engineers within 5 minutes of me sending a question when I first bought the AJA card (and went through driver migration hell when CS3 was released).

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
on Jan 6, 2010 at 4:26:51 am

You should be able to access the AJA playback options once you have made the sequence.
I agree, it doesn't work when you first make the sequence in a new project, but once you're in the project, you should be able to access the playback options no problem.

The sluggishness is indeed the biggest problem though. I've written to them as well, and I get a response saying they are passing it on to their engineers, but then nothing when I write to follow up on my questions.

Hopefully they fix this soon!
I'm sticking with 4.2 for the moment, but we aren't using this system much of late. The FCP seats get far more use.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 7, 2010 at 4:47:45 pm

[Bram Tulloch] "You should be able to access the AJA playback options once you have made the sequence.
I agree, it doesn't work when you first make the sequence in a new project, but once you're in the project, you should be able to access the playback options no problem."

When have you ever been able to adjust the card in/outputs (the composite/component question) from the "new sequence" dialog? It's always been in the playback settings...where it still is.

BTW, as far as a "known issue"... that usually refers to a symptom that can be reproduced consistently relating problem for which the cause has been identified... It does not mean "we've never heard of that issue before", it simply means that there is no known reason for it to be occurring.

All that being said, keep in mind that Adobe has changed their player structure with CS4 and AJA has changed a few things to adapt to that...I'm not in front of my machine right now, but I'd just backtrack through your docs...I need to follow up to find exactly what the specifics are when I get in front of my machine.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
on Jan 12, 2010 at 5:46:13 am

Anyone heard anything from AJA about this?
Specifically the sluggish way it works?

I got a response when I first raised a query about it, but now they won't answer my follow up emails.

Just wondering if anyone else out there is having any luck?

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 12, 2010 at 11:50:48 pm

I don't why your follow ups wouldn't get answered, but I happen to know that they are investigating this issue.

That's all I know, but I know they aren't ignoring it.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Mikael B
on Jan 15, 2010 at 1:48:01 am

So why don't they reply then, I find this so typical for software company (to sad).

I hade the same problem with AJA without som follow ups response.

If they are aware of the problem why don't they just tell you that "they are working on this", this would be just fine to me, but to stay silent is what making people let down and mislead.

I work for the biggest broadcast TV stations here in Sweden and they need to trust AJA in there support (to sad, they start to lose there confidence in AJA).

Mikael
Grammofonbolaget

Return to posts index

Matthew Causon
on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:20:06 am

Hello Mikael

It's really unusual that AJA don't respond or follow up.

As I'm responsible for Europe can you please forward me you email/s to AJA so we have your details and I'll check it out tonight with them.

AJA are aware of the issue, I'll try to have them get the latest information out to each of you who are contacting them directly on this.

Best regards

Matty Causon
Phosphor
EMEA Business Management for AJA Video Systems Inc.

email: matty@phosphor.pro

Return to posts index

AJA Xena Support
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:04:07 pm

Hi All,

We have in fact reproduced the problem. Please forgive our slow response as there has been some research going on internally to try and determine the circumstances surrounding this issue, and how we may improve it.

We have seen the issue now, and do intend to improve it in a future release. For those of you who find the lag unbearable, please revert to one of the previous versions for now. It will likley be a few weeks before a fix for this is released, however this fix will work its way into a beta version before a release version. For those of you interested in signing up for the XENA and IO Express Beta program, please email xenabeta@aja.com

Thanks for your patience

AJA Support

Return to posts index

Alexander Chechelnitskiy
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:36:27 pm

Looks like 4.2.1 drivers did not solve the problem at all. What a shame...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]