FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems getting HD-SDI Signal from HD Connect LE to Xena LH

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeron Coolman
Problems getting HD-SDI Signal from HD Connect LE to Xena LH
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:24:22 pm

I can't seem to set up Machina properly to receive the 1920x1080i 29.96 signal from my HD Connect LE through the HD-SDI. This all used to work fine until I reformatted my machine and upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 from XP Pro 32 bit.

Part of the problem is verifying if the HD Connect LE is actually sending the signal since the HD-SDI In on the AJA board is my only HD-SDI equipment. Can use a voltmeter on the cable to check if a signal is going though it? If so, what would I set it too. In other words, anyone have an inexpensive suggestion to verify if the HD-SDI connector on the HD Connect LE is outputting a signal?

I remember I've been confused with the proper setting in Machina before.

If I'm feeding the Xena a 1920x1080i 29.96 signal via HD-SDI. What should I set the Machina Capture and Playback settings to? I'm monitoring via an HD monitor out the component connections of the Xena. That works fine. I tested it with Premiere Pro and an HDV Xena project.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
Re: Problems getting HD-SDI Signal from HD Connect LE to Xena LH
on Sep 22, 2009 at 11:39:19 pm

Have you tried checking if you have an analog output from the HD Connect?

Also...what format are you using? 1080i? 720p?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:46:57 am

Hi Tim,

I'm feeding it a 1080i signal from a Sony HVR-M1U connected via firewire to the HD Connect LE.

I'm able to view the signal out of the the analog component connectors of the HD Connect LE.

Machina keeps giving me the no video signal in the capture area (bottom right) of the capture tab.

If I could figure out how to check if there is a signal coming out of the HD-SDI connector it would help. I just don't have any other SDI equipment.

Anyone out there have a Xena connected to an HD Connect LE with a 108I signal via Machina that can post a screenshot of their Machina Capture settings? Or at least list them? I'm not sure I have the correct settings in Machina...

Anyone know of any cheap SDI signal testers?

I wish I could justify buying a piece of equipment that accepts an SDI input...

Thanks,

Jeron

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 23, 2009 at 12:39:37 pm

OK...

First, what are your Machina settings for input?

Second...the HDSDI spigots on the back of the Xena card are not labeled... Is there a chance you have an input/output mismatch on the back of the board?

...I deal with AJA boards frequently and I still occasionally get my cabling switched in the back.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:01:19 pm

Hi Tim,

I'm not in front of my editing machine, I'll post the settings tonight. I tried quite a few different settings, even setting the HD Connect LE to convert and output 720p. I'll post the one I think should be working.

I'm using one of those Aja "breakout boxes" that are rack-mount. I forgot what they call it, but it is the box that fits in the rack on my editing desk that the Aja board plugs into. The connections are clearly labelled on it. I'm plugging the HD Connect LE into the SDI In on that.

(I used to plug cables into the wrong place too, like you mentioned, which is why I bought the "box" - I'm glad I did, makes life easier.)

I'm hoping someone will pop into the discussion here with a link to a $50 device that will test an sdi signal. I'd love to have a little box that I can plug the HD Connect LE's SDI into that lights up if there is a signal. Or maybe some sort of universal A/V signal tester that isn't too expensive?

I might have to buy one of those SDI to HDMI converts for $500. I'd just hate to do that, just to test the signal. (I can find a use for a box that converts HDMI to HD-SDI, but I don't think that will help me)

You'd think I could use a voltmeter or oscilloscope and test the presence of a signal.

I didn't get much help from the HD Connect LE support. They are saying it must be a setting on the Aja (which I understand, but I was hoping for a suggestion from them, for a way to test the presence of a signal on the HD Connect LE's SDI out)

I haven't heard back from Aja support. I'll give them one more day before I send another email to them.

Thanks,

Jeron

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:51:52 pm

If you are getting an analog signal out of the HD Connect, chances are pretty good you don't have anything fundamentally wrong with the signal path there...all outputs should be live on that box.

You didn't make any changes on the breakout box? It's still configured from a point when you were using it without issue?

...and you have the latest/appropriate drivers for the Xena card right? I just talked with someone who had similar issues that simply needed to update the Xena drivers.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 26, 2009 at 10:15:05 pm

Hi Tim,

I figured it out.

My assistant who mounted the "breakout box" didn't connect the SDI cables. He thought that all you needed to do was connect the one "big 'snake' cable" that the "breakout box" replaced. Every connection is handle with that except the SDI.

Thanks for the help though. No wonder it was acting like there wasn't a connection ;)

Jeron

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 27, 2009 at 5:44:06 pm

Yup...it doesn't even matter how experienced we all get over time. It still ends up being something fundamental most of the time...

I'm glad you got it solved.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]